DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 2005 dakota, quad, rwd. My big question is should I opt for the 6 speed getrag or the auto. The 6 speed will save me a thousand, enabling me to get the v8. No one has a 6 speed anywhere so i have yet to drive one, i will have to order it from dodge. That has me a little concerned. Also I will be towing a boat, about 2500 lbs total and i am wondering how the 6 speed will perform on the ramp. i am pretty good with a clutch, will probobaly put in a lsd aftermarket. They don't make the 05 Dak w/ a LSD. Which axle ratio should I consider, as i am hoping the 3.55 will work well. Is there a fuel economy vs performance consideration for this axle? Some posts indicate that the auto v8 runs a little high on the rpm at 65mph.
Dodge's post on their info site suggests that the 4.23 gearing is designed for towing. A lot of people tell me go auto , no one uses 6 speeds,. (for a reason). then again, am I overanalysing here???? I just want to make the best decision before i drop $20,000 on a truck. Please help me out here fellas.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
Well, I guess it all depends on your driving habits. Most people don't opt for a stick because they don't want to have to deal with it in traffic, and don't like to shift. So far as durability goes, the 6 spd should give good life and shouldn't suffer from the heat issues that some autos have. So each have their advantages and drawbacks, just depends on your preference. I, personally, would opt for the 6 spd. The low first gear, if you are good with the clutch like you say, would be ideal for starting your trailer on boat ramps.
So far as the gearing goes, it all depends on your driving style. Any of the options offered (3.21, 3.55, 3.92) will pull your boat fine. If you do most of your driving in town, the 3.92 would be the way to go. It offers the best power for towing, better acceleration, and the best in town fuel economy of the three. If your driving is mainly done on the intererstate the 3.21s would be the way to go. They wont offer as good as acceleration or in town fuel economy, but will yield the best fuel economy on the interstate at speeds in excess of 60 mph.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.