DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, new guy here. I've got a 98 Dak 5.2 5 spd and am thinking of trading for a new one. I went to the dealer to look them over and noticed something that seems backwards: the 2wd V8 auto. trucks have the 9.25" rear end, the 4wd V8 get had 8.25" rear end. Could you 4wd guys verify that this is normal and what drivetrain options (limited slip/gears/tow package)/cab type you have if not? They only had one and it was a demo/no window sticker to see if it had towing package, gears etc.

Same questions for the 6 spd. 4.7 2wd owners(esp. club-cab, what I'd get). I would assume it also gets the 9.25, but want to know for sure as this could affect my decision . As usual, no one at the dealerships knew anything/seemed to care. I'm 90% sure I'll have to order my truck (I'm picky, plus it's rare).

To help ID: the 8.25" has 10 bolts on the diff. cover, the 9.25" has 12. Thanks for your help.

BTW: does anyone have any info on the 6 spd.(brand/model)?

/sorry, meant to put this on the drivetrain forum-feel free to move if necessary

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just looked on Dodge's website and it says that only the 8.25 rear end is available on the Dakota.

And as far as the bolts, I have a 9.25 in my Durango and only have 10 bolts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Truck

6 speed/4.7/2wd trucks get the 9.25. We've got two on the lot right now, both with 3.55 lsd.

The tranny is a Getrag 238,

Gear Ratios:
1st 4.23
2nd 2.53
3rd 1.67
4th 1.23
5th 1.00
6th 0.79
Reverse 3.84
Overall Top Gear 2.54 with 3.21 axle ratio, 2.80 with 3.55 axle ratio

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the info on th Dodge site, it has pretty much always said that ALL Daks come with the 8.25", even in '98 whe I bought mine. It's wrong and I don't understand why it's been this way.

You may want to double check what rear you have, never seen a 10 bolt 9.25" before. Does it have a single bolt in the 6 o'clock position or 2 (side by side) on the very bottom?

Thanks for the reply b1llwy, exactly what I needed. I knew there was a reason I mentioned you guys elsewhere in these forums. I figured out the tranny., and am pretty much good to go. Does anyone know the torque capacity of this tranny? I figure it's atleast 295lb ft., but just wondering for curiosity sake. Getrag doesn't even list this tranny on there site (US or German).

Thanks again for responding guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.