DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey....i run a 2500 with 6" kit and 37s. a chip and gauges. plenty of power, and i pull a flatbed dual axle now and then, never really loaded too heavy. i need to replace my pittman arm and my drivers inner tierod. i got such a great deal on this kit, i was thinking bout just upgrading to the 8" kit. i am also ordering traction bars in the rear for axle wrap. my question is....i know for my round town commutes and the smaller single axle utility trailer hauling hunting 4wheelers and gear, i wont have a problem, but im contemplating buying a smaller, 20 foot hard sided camper or pop up for hunting. with the proper hitch/reciever , brakes and such, would any of yall be hesitant to pull with my 2500 diesel and the 8" kit. being im safe of course. i love my 6" kit, but i sware it doesnt seem that big anymore, 8" would be the biggest id wanna go. anyone here tow with 8"

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wouldn’t tow with any “lift kit”. It has to affect the geometry of suspension operation, yaw & pitch of the truck along with braking issues, drive train stress and possible reduced towing capacities in general. Small stuff you may be OK. Twenty ft travel trailer I would question.

Since you already have front suspension items of question now, I would say NO!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I tow with my 6" lift, tow approx 13k skid steer, and haul approx 2500lbs in the box quite a bit truck handles it fine still. Only concern is the extra stress on drivetrain (a lot worse with auto) from bigger tires and then the trailer, other then that and higher center of gravity it's fine. Braking doesn't matter, the trailer should stop itself and shouldn't relieing on the truck brakes. 8" just makes everything worse, and if your going with any bigger then 35" tires, I would say your towing is going to start droping like a rock, or take out something in the drivetrain, or atleast wear it all REALLY fast.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Listen, all you have to do is ask yourself a few questions. Do you feel confident that you can mash the brakes to the floor from highway speed and nothing will shift,bend or break in your suspension ? How about sliding sideways on ice and then hitting dry pavement ? Would you bet your loved ones or someone elses loved ones lives on it ? Lastly, do you have money coming out the wazoo ? You will need it if someone gets injured because of a failure,breakage that caused an accident and also to keep putting in parts such as U-joints, driveshafts,ect... Calm down, just having some fun LOL. Personally I would not tow with anything over 35" tires. Our camper is about 10,500lbs - nowhere near what a CTD can pull, but I can't imagine pulling ours w/37" tires.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive been thinking, the 6" kit is fine. im getting some good traction bars made, and the issue with the steering is that im running a 4" pittman arm on a 6" kit. thanks for the input guys but ill stick with the 6" kit...looking at a 23 foot starcraft campin trailer.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
ive been thinking, the 6" kit is fine. im getting some good traction bars made, and the issue with the steering is that im running a 4" pittman arm on a 6" kit. thanks for the input guys but ill stick with the 6" kit...looking at a 23 foot starcraft campin trailer.
23' is nothing. I'm going to be towing one this summer with my setup, they pull like nothing, only big issue with a 5th wheel and lift is the trailer angle because the truck is so high, pretty much have to flip the axles on the trailer, but then again most of them are nose high on a stock 2500/3500 anyway.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i may need to do an axle flip too. can you take pictures of yours...before and afters, and the process too?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
yeah i may need to do an axle flip too. can you take pictures of yours...before and afters, and the process too?
It will be quite some time before mine is done, snow hasn't even begun to melt, won't probably do it till around April or so. But I will take pics for sure. Don't even got the hitch in yet, got to decide if i'm going to ditch the gooseneck, or buy a 5th wheel adapter so i got both..... But shh don't tell anyone i'm going to mount my hitch back a few " to get extra clearance because it's a short box ;)

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah. if i said anything, someone would be sure to tell you that your an idiot and stupid, gonna kill someone, get sued and demand you do it the perfect way...the only way...the one and only single way, or else.......theres always someone to down someone else for not doing things as they would....some people. best of luck with it...take pics, and dont worry bout what the man says! its your truck...your money....DO IT

·
05HemiBigHorn
132 Posts
I had 9" of lift on our last truck and had 37's and it towed just fine. If you buy a quality lift its going to be as strong as the factory suspension. If you do it right you will have upgraded the brakes, swapped gears, and have the proper drop mount for your reciever, proper tire width to compensate your the increased cog and such so if its done right its not an issue.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man. i have a solid 6" superlift kit. I will not tow until i get traction bars out back since 4" of it is blocks. i will be swapping out blocks with air bags when i get some money, but it makes no diff, i feel traction bars are going to be needed with the frame sits that high off the axle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tow a 34 ft travel trailer with my truck and it does just fine. Drive safe, make sure your truck is in good running order and you will be fine.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys....ill have it set up soon!

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I've towed a 23 ft toy hauler (7K#'s) on my 1500 with the RC 5.5 kit, no issues even with the one panic stop going down the to the grapevine in So Cal fully loaded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts