DodgeTalk Forum banner

Which best describes your experience with the 6.7

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a question that i think will ultimately help me decide between 5.9 and 6.7 or ford 6.4. This is for you 6.7 guys

Which of yall have stock 6.7s and have had motor issues.....who has a 6.7 that has never had issues....whose 6.7 has deletes and no issues, and who has 6.7 with deletes and has had issues

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
whats the deal, no one wants to vote? im trying to get some help deciding 5.9 or 6.7

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I couldn't vote twice, LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I voted yes to this, let me state that I would not really say that I have motor issues. My issues have been more closely related to the emission components with the exception of a ruptured power steering hose. To sum it up, the motor is fine dpf and egr have caused my turbo failure which was replaced (3,500 miles) and my second one has already had to be cleaned at 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had zero engine troubles, but I had it in for turbo cleaning twice and the third time they replaced the turbo. No troubles since.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had an '05 CTD, then sold it for a new '08 Ford 6.4 PSD, then after four months traded off for my current '09 CTD..

I have not had any problems up to 13,000 miles on my '09 CTD, but decided to do the basic deletes on it. After the last two dealer re-flashes, my mileage went into the tank, and seemed to go into active regen every 100 miles.. Like stated above, the engine is fine in these Rams, but the emission components (specifically the EGR system) can cause problems (i.e. turbo sooting, cracked EGR Cooler causing loss coolant, etc..).

Now w/ the Ford 6.4 PSD I had, it was a good built truck (stout), but after driving it for a few months. It felt like driving a car w/ the Torque kicking in later in the power band than the CTD (lots of turbo lag off the line also).. I could never get used to it, and the 6.4 still has it's problems w/ the engine alone. The CTD is built strong, and feel very confident in it's longevity (w/ proper maintenance), and will out last any Powerstroke to date.

The 5.9 and 6.7 CTD is a toss up when the 6.7 is deleted. The good thing w/ the 5.9 you don't have to delete anything out of the package, not to say there are thousands of stock 6.7's out there w/ no problems on emission components. Just eventually your going to have to replace the EGR/EGR Cooler and DPF sometime down the line (6.7's), and that is more costly maintenance compared to the 5.9's..

Just my humble $.02 on this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
when my truck was still stock, I never had any real issues. had to clean my turbo once, and the main thing is I just had to learn not to baby the truck, I realy got tired of the crappy fuel MPG. as far as your decision on a 5.9 and a 6.7, it just depends on what you want a cummins for, I mean are you wanting to just drive around town and look good or are you going to be hawling heavy loads alot? I personaly love my 6.7 and after I deleted everything I got better sound, better power, better mpg, and after driving for several hundred miles if I want I can pull over and take a nap with the engine still running for heat/ac, and i dont have to worry about clogging anything up anymore. I know that was long winded but you will love a 6.7 if you delete all the junk off of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
when my truck was still stock, I never had any real issues. had to clean my turbo once, and the main thing is I just had to learn not to baby the truck, I realy got tired of the crappy fuel MPG. as far as your decision on a 5.9 and a 6.7, it just depends on what you want a cummins for, I mean are you wanting to just drive around town and look good or are you going to be hawling heavy loads alot? I personaly love my 6.7 and after I deleted everything I got better sound, better power, better mpg, and after driving for several hundred miles if I want I can pull over and take a nap with the engine still running for heat/ac, and i dont have to worry about clogging anything up anymore. I know that was long winded but you will love a 6.7 if you delete all the junk off of it.
DITTO for me! :worthy:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
i dont know if you are still contemplating but dear lord dont get a 6.4 Ford
I got an early 6.4 ford and put 15k on it quickly. I never had a problem with it. I put a 120hp SCT Tune in it. Truck ran like a bat out of hell.

But it certainly didn't pull well, and got about 12mpg unloaded, and about 9mpg pulling 2 ATVs coming in at 700lbs each + lightweight trailer.
Not to mention when the truck regens, it detunes it and heats the exhaust pipe up wayyyy hot. Park in a grass field while its regenning at idle, and you can start a grass fire.
And that detuning causes it to have pretty much no power. If you are pulling its going to downshift to 2500rpm just to pull a slight rolling hill.

Truck was great, strong motor with no issues, but if you want any decent mileage, want to pull anything, and care about a truck detuning for 20 minutes each tank of fuel, then don't grab a 6.4l

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
heres a question that i think will ultimately help me decide between 5.9 and 6.7 or ford 6.4. This is for you 6.7 guys

Which of yall have stock 6.7s and have had motor issues.....who has a 6.7 that has never had issues....whose 6.7 has deletes and no issues, and who has 6.7 with deletes and has had issues
I had my 6.7 stock for about a year, the previous 2 years have been deleted.

When stock, I did not have any issues with the motor. I had 3-4 issues with the O2 sensors being plugged.

Deleted, I've had zero issues.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unfortnately i fell into an 05 6.0 f350. it will be gone friday.....after taxes im trying to find a gen 4 2500 cummins long bed 4x4 6 speed manual. i miss my 06 cummins!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had zero engine troubles, but I had it in for turbo cleaning twice and the third time they replaced the turbo. No troubles since.
*UPDATE* Popped a CEL the other day at the end of a 700 mile trip. Three codes, one for the wrong key (???), one for the EGR Circuit voltage low and one for DPF Performance. 59,000 miles on the clock. Can't wait for the warranty to run out to get deletes done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did deletes on mine at 100k miles. We drive a lot of interstate! Original turbo w/ 150k miles now. Before deletes I had a cracked DPF replaced, and the EGR and cooler cleaned a bunch. The EGR system was 90% of my CEL's. After deletes not a single CEL or repair, except for a new clutch ( had 140k miles on clutch).

Major benefit to deletes was cleaner engine (oil) and MPG. Motor itself never has been a problem. Runs great! Even before deletes it never left us stranded or in the "limp mode" you here about.

Especially if you ever plan on doing a different exhaust and maybe a tuner/downloader anyway, I definitely would not exclude the 6.7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts