DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my hemi/megacab today from the dealer after they fixed the AC. While I was there I was talking to my salesman and he knew I was interested in a CTD. He said they are having a bunch of people bringing in their diesels because they are having problems with the filtration systems. He mentioned that people are not driving them hard enough and taking short trips to the store and back. He also talked about they are not letting them idle and they need to run at 55 mph for at least an hour. I remember before I bought this truck the diesel tech told me with my driving habits I would have problems with the diesel as well. I have always been intriqued with what the CTD could do but after just 9k miles and a lot of short trips I'm thinking I made a good choice. I've heard if you jump on the CTD pretty hard every once in a while it will help with the carbon build up and other problems. Someday I'll get one I just need to buy more and bigger toys to tow behind it! :thatfunny Has anyone else heard of these type of problems? Sounds like the soccer moms are driving the CTD's!! :thatfunny

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yup there is a problem, and there is a flash to fix it already too.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Edited post. Read it wrong. Thought he said HIS TRUCk has had 17 flashes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ask a lot of stupid questions but where on a new truck can you tell when it was built. There a lot of 08's that have been sitting at the dealers for a long time. If you buy one does the dealer automatically give it the lastest flash or do you need to ask for it.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The plate on the door jam will have month and year of manufacture. A dealer SHOULD update with the latest flash before it leaves but some aren't. I would make sure it has been updated on the starscan before it leaves the lot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
donskipton said:
17 flash upgrades as of 4-4-08
and everyone was going to fix the problem.
So, is the AX flash still the most recent flash (i.e., for an '07)?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Yes, AX for the 07's and AP for the 08's

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
Yes, AX for the 07's and AP for the 08's
Thanks. I am again hoping that this latest flash does the trick for the DPF problems I have been experiencing with my 6.7 (although I have been previously told that before with the prior string of flashes). Time will tell I suppose ...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
any update on what the latest flash on a 07 is? im going to look at one next week.. and plan on buying it after driving it

·
Registered
351 Posts
After a number of previous flashes, I got an AZ flash in January 2009. Despite this, I continued to get CEL's & the typical DTCS fault codes. I then went into my original dealership in April 2009 for an oil change and some other service items. They found that my DPF was completely cracked internally and basically totally burned out. They replaced the DPF under warranty, installed a manual cleaning port in my turbo, cleaned the turbo internals, and updated my PCM with the latest (at that time) 55351435-BA flash.

While my Ram 3500 is not a daily driver and doesn't get a lot of mileage on it, I am happy to report that I have had no further CEL's, fault codes, regen problems, or engine power issues since the April 2009 service and flash (knock on wood). I suppose there could be even newer flashes out there for an '07, but for me, I just want to leave things alone at this point.

If you end up getting the '07, best of luck with it. Other than the aftertreatment system issues (which were admittedly frustrating), I have been really pleased with the truck and especially the 6.7 CTD.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
After a number of previous flashes, I got an AZ flash in January 2009. Despite this, I continued to get CEL's & the typical DTCS fault codes. I then went into my original dealership in April 2009 for an oil change and some other service items. They found that my DPF was completely cracked internally and basically totally burned out. They replaced the DPF under warranty, installed a manual cleaning port in my turbo, cleaned the turbo internals, and updated my PCM with the latest (at that time) 55351435-BA flash.

While my Ram 3500 is not a daily driver and doesn't get a lot of mileage on it, I am happy to report that I have had no further CEL's, fault codes, regen problems, or engine power issues since the April 2009 service and flash (knock on wood). I suppose there could be even newer flashes out there for an '07, but for me, I just want to leave things alone at this point.

If you end up getting the '07, best of luck with it. Other than the aftertreatment system issues (which were admittedly frustrating), I have been really pleased with the truck and especially the 6.7 CTD.
Delete your DPF and no more problems!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I plan to do just that, but not until my extended warranty has lapsed.

·
Registered
351 Posts
any update on what the latest flash on a 07 is? im going to look at one next week.. and plan on buying it after driving it
So, did you end up getting the '07?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have an 08 3500 dually 6.7 with DPF delete and a smarty jr chip and programmer. First few years with the chip and programmer were fine. In the last year have been experiencing codes for the turbo spinning overspeed and EGR.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this after having the DPF delete installed?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts