DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 6.7 and was wandering if it was OK/harmful to run with your exhaust brake on everyday without a load? Living in Dallas there's constant stop and go traffic but I'm usually on the highway weekends. Just curious.

Thanks for any input.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
Some dealers are actually telling customers with problem 07.5's to run with the exhaust brake on. Seems to clean the soot better because the truck runs at higher exhaust temperatures.

· Registered
65 Posts
The 6.7 has a particulate filter that collects the un burnt fuel aka soot. It needs to heat up 2 about 3000 degrees to go into REGEN. It burns all the fuel in the filter and cleans it self out. Guys who buy these truck who drive like grampa very get the truck into regen and the oil change lamp comes on prematurly. Then they bring it into the dealer complaining about it. So we basically take the truck out on a good road and beat the crap out of it to put it into regen. So there isnt a problem with running around with the JAKE on.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
dodgetech1 said:
The 6.7 has a particulate filter that collects the un burnt fuel aka soot. It needs to heat up 2 about 3000 degrees to go into REGEN. It burns all the fuel in the filter and cleans it self out. Guys who buy these truck who drive like grampa very get the truck into regen and the oil change lamp comes on prematurly. Then they bring it into the dealer complaining about it. So we basically take the truck out on a good road and beat the crap out of it to put it into regen. So there isnt a problem with running around with the JAKE on.
Not to get off topic but...
Wow that's great to know dealers are out they driving the crap out of peoples newer trucks :VHOT: I know if I seen my truck being driven hard by the dealer, it would be the last time they touched my truck and they wouldn't hear the end of it.

· Registered
151 Posts
mocho said:
Not to get off topic but...
Wow that's great to know dealers are out they driving the crap out of peoples newer trucks :VHOT: I know if I seen my truck being driven hard by the dealer, it would be the last time they touched my truck and they wouldn't hear the end of it.
Well in all seriousness... how else do you expect a dealer to get the the temps up high enough to get it into regen? Should they sit under the car with a torch or just take it for a spin with some healthy acceleration?

· Registered
3,056 Posts
Drunk tank said:
Well in all seriousness... how else do you expect a dealer to get the the temps up high enough to get it into regen? Should they sit under the car with a torch or just take it for a spin with some healthy acceleration?
"healthy" is different from bagging the sh!t out of it, you don't need to pretty much redline it to get the EGT's higher. But I mean, I wouldn't trust any dealer i've been to driving my truck :WHT:

· Registered
151 Posts
mocho said:
"healthy" is different from bagging the sh!t out of it, you don't need to pretty much redline it to get the EGT's higher. But I mean, I wouldn't trust any dealer i've been to driving my truck :WHT:
Okay... we're on the same page more or less. I'm assuming that "beat the crap out of it" was dodgetech1's way of saying they take it for a spin. Never would figure a dealer would be stupid enough to abuse a vehicle.

· Registered
2,862 Posts
dodgetech1 said:
3000 degrees? no. Good thing i dont drive a dodge and have to go to your dealer. i dont want my truck taken out back getting abused as hell. The dealer can just plug in a tool to force a regen.

· Registered
84 Posts
It is a double edge sword .............dont run it hard enough and it plugs up.............on the other hand , who wants to romp on it and watch the fuel mileage drop .........it is bad enough already.....

· Crash06
75 Posts
rhockjr said:
It is a double edge sword .............dont run it hard enough and it plugs up.............on the other hand , who wants to romp on it and watch the fuel mileage drop .........it is bad enough already.....
thats my problem, i just picked mine up on friday and im getting around 11-12, but it only has just over 300 on it right now.

should i take it easy for a while or still get on it everywhere, cuz it sucks the diesel like theres no tomorrow!

· Registered
13 Posts
dodgetech1 said:
sorry your wrong, dont have a "tool" guy that forces re gen, stick to your fords
A pressure differential sensor provides the pressure input to the ECM. During the regeneration process, the ECM raises the temperature in the DOC/DPF to burn off the soot accumulated. Under normal operation, the engine does not produce enough heat to oxidize the soot inside the DOC/DPF. This process requires temperatures above 550 ºC (1,022 ºF). After regeneration, the ECM reads the actual pressure difference at the DOC/DPF and compares it with a reference value. From this comparison, the ECM determines the ash quantity inside the DOC/DPF.

Under very limited circumstances, your engine and exhaust system may not be able to create the conditions necessary to burn off trapped pollutants. If this situation should occur, the interior overhead message center will display a message warning you of this condition (“Catalyst Full See Owner Man”). By simply changing your driving style for as little as 40 minutes. you can change this condition and allow the trapped pollutants to be burned off.

In the event that the warning messages continue, the electronic engine control module will take action by significantly reducing performance to protect your exhaust catalyst system. A final message, “ Check Engine” will require you to visit your dealer. Your dealer is equipped with the necessary information and equipment to alleviate the condition without damage.

SO FIRST IT'S NOT 3000 DEG. AND SECOND THEY SHOULDN'T BE GOING TO THE DEALER IF THEY ONLY HAVE TO DRIVE IT FOR 40 MIN. AT SPEEDS OF 50/60 MPH AND YES THERE IS A TOOL TO FORCE REGEN. BECAUSE WHEN IT GOES INTO A CHECK ENGINE FAULT YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT .

· Registered
50 Posts
I simply love the EB in my truck. In the snowy North, road are slippery 4wd is engaged and traffic tends to move slow. Using the EB to decel gives me equal braking on all 4 wheels decreasing the possibility of a spin out. Cold morning start ups the EB is used to help get the engine temp up to op temps quicker. For the heavy loaded applications it is simply a must have piece of equipment. For those times lightly loaded or looking for better mileage I leave it turned off otherwise you can loose the mileage accumulation during coastdown.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.