Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
info from another Dodge group:

On the agricultural/industrial side, Cummins stroked the QSB 3.9 and 5.9 engines to 4.4 and 6.7 respectively. They are not "sisters" to the road-use ISB block, but they are related. Allpar had a data sheet up a while back with all current Chrysler engine codes, and underneath ETC and ETH was a listing "ETJ - Cummins 6.7L". My guess is, the 6.7L would be the new Jan 1 2007 engine, used in a 2007-1/2 Ram along with the new HD automatic - rumors there are 58RE, 58RFE, 68RE, 68RFE.
(Considering where these torque numbers are going, I might feel more comfortable with a "9" instead of an "8".)
Depending on what the competition offers, my prediction would be a rating of 375/675 unless someone (Toyota's 2007 3/4 ton?) forces their hand to 700 lb-ft. KC
end quote

It unfortunately might also be that Cummins has had to increase the displacement 14% just to make up for the bad effects of EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) coming in order to meet the coming very stringent CARB and EPA regs for NOx pollution.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In Diesel Power mag, they hint at a V-8 Cummins in the near future. I searched all over the web and couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why why why....don't in-line engine designs provide more torque per unit of displacement than v style engines? Well i don't know....most semi's use inline, and from what i've just read i guess most locomotives us v-style. Whatever they do i hope its just as powerful, simple, and efficient as the CTD now.

·
Registered
597 Posts
don't in-line engine designs provide more torque per unit of displacement than v style engines?
My 5.9 Inline-6 has at least as much as maybe a little more than the Duramax 6.6 V-8...

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The Benz diesel will be the option for 2007 and probably be the only diesel offered for 2008, that was right from an engineer at the DCX R&D center in Windsor

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
dodge really needs to do something bout the low end, need an extra gear or two be better, and the turbo needs to kick in quicker and spool up, a 6.0L could take a cummins in the low end but the top end is mostly cummins.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Straight-6 is the most used diesel engine design. Caterpillar pretty much exclusively builds Straight-6s, it is the only engine design that is naturally balanced and has a power stroke on every single rotation, therefore creating more torque. I've operated HE gear with Straight-4s, Straight-6s and V-8s and the Straight-6 is by far the most versatile of the engines and creates the most power where it's needed. However the manufacturer's can play to the average person's lack of knowledge on Diesels and market a V-8 in the trucks successfully.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Amen. If ppl would only take the time to know some things, not just 'derrr....v-8 sounds cooler than straight six (or in-line six)'. I had (well have, just kinda broke...seems like those ball joints and wheel bearing couldn't handle the romps across the prarie) a 85 F150 w/ the 4.9 L6 (or aka 300-6) 4-spd. It roared and got horrible gas milage at highway speeds, but damn it was a torqy ******* good for muddin and snow.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
610 CTD 4x4
37 Posts
The I-6 and the V-12 are pefectly (naturally) balanced designs, reuqiring no balance weights on the crank or balancing shafts of any kind. Now...if Cummins wants to develop a V-12 for a 3/4-1 Ton Pickup...count me in!!! :D

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
bigdrake said:
Have you drove a 6 speed?
Yeah, I was gonna say that too, on our 6 spd, you cant really get much more than 10 mph in 1st gear and you are pushing the 3K mark. Plenty of low end grunt.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
RAJ said:
dodge really needs to do something bout the low end, need an extra gear or two be better, and the turbo needs to kick in quicker and spool up, a 6.0L could take a cummins in the low end but the top end is mostly cummins.
You have got to be kidding...this is a joke, right ? :crazy:

Ever try a zero throttle start in 2nd gear with a PowerChoke or DuraKrap ? Even 3rd gear ? They fall flat on their faces and almost always stall.....The CTD has more torque off idle at a lower RPM than the DuraKrap or PowerChoke. I have a friend with an F-350 4dr 4x4 DRW w/6.0L & six speed, and he admits it's a dog (he hauls cattle with a Gooseneck brand 28 ft. livestock trailer). He's often commented about his mistake switching from the Dodge to the Ford many times. The PowerChokes and DuraKraps work best with their auto's.....as for the turbo spooling, the little HY35 used on the 3rd GEN trucks spool quite quickly. There are so many more upgrades for the CTD equipped trucks than the PowerChokes & DuraKraps, too....all at lower pricing and easier installation.
Greg

·
610 CTD 4x4
37 Posts
I'm all for upping the displacement...just don't change anything else! Gimme something to look forward to?

Cowtown Turbo - Vacaville, CA :gr_patrio

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Bright White w/ Taupe Interior SLT Big Horn Edition
2" Tuff-Country Leveling Kit
33/12.5/17 Les Schwab TXR MT wrapped around 17x8 Factory Forged Wheels,
Chrome Nerf Bars, Billet Aluminum Fuel Door, Line-X

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2004 Hemi Quad Cab 4x2 / Atlantic Blue / SLT / on 20’s / Laramie Grill

COMING SOON (?)...
35’s?…on 17x10’s?

ALSO IN GARAGE: 2005 Corvette C6 Coupe / T-Top / LS2 / Z-51

·
Registered
60 Posts
runnincummins said:
and from what i've just read i guess most locomotives us v-style.

locomotives use electricity to power the wheels. all the diesel engines are doing is running a generator and SCR

·
Registered
307 Posts
mwdguy said:
locomotives use electricity to power the wheels. all the diesel engines are doing is running a generator and SCR

Thats true!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
gsbrockman from what i even seen, my buddy had both the 5.9 and the 6.0, the cummins had it on the top end always the stroker started off quicker due to the first gear being so close.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
mwdguy said:
well, if thats true, then the diesels work even harder b/c there is engergy loss from mechanical to electrical back to mechanical.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
2-Stroke said:
well, if thats true, then the diesels work even harder b/c there is engergy loss from mechanical to electrical back to mechanical.
I can verify he is right. The diesels are turning the elecric motors. The electrics prodce a crapload more torque and is required to get those loads moving. So take that! :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.