DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Doc
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I saw on another forum about guys using the cams and heads from the 6.1L to bump the hp and tq on their 5.7's. Does anyone have any details if this is as good as porting what we have and swapping the Crane or KRC bumpshafts? If the 6.1 cam is as good, they were saying they were only $100 vs $350 for the Crane.
The Doc :cool:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Damn! Good question.

·
Dodge User
1,213 Posts
id like to know more about this also

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
Where the hell did they get the 6.1L parts from?

KB

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
The heads from the 6.1 fit the 5.7? Seems like it would be a totally different motor.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
KB112 said:
Where the hell did they get the 6.1L parts from?

KB
That's an even better question.

·
Registered
265 Posts
6.1l is just hte 5.7 with some things done to strengthen the internals, actually the blocks i think are hte same with different cranks/bore sizes so theoretically with the right pistons you can probably use the 6.1l heads, but all your valve train geometry might change, your better off picking up a 6.1l crate for the money your going to spend to do it right, or just get the STS kit ;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
so can my engine be bored out or anything so it's a 6.1L? I know, dumb question but just curious.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
The computer should be taken into consideration regarding the fact that the flow/lift/durations are going to be totally different. For the money to do it right the first like the guy said above spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
936 Posts
for the money you would spend just buy a new cam from Comp Cams and port ou your valves. would make enough horsepower to make me happy. Though those 6.1 vlave covers and intake plenum look sweet and something like that i would definetely swap for. just scrape off the 6.1 emblems.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
I think the 6.1 is just a STROKED out 5.7L... The parts should be fine and everything should fit like it belongs... You should check your pushrods to insure they are the right length but I think that would be a nice combo...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
724 Posts
I believe the individual you are referring to is the Sales Manager at a Dodge dealership. This makes getting the parts for him rather easy and inexpensive at the same time.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
I think the 6.1 is just a STROKED out 5.7L... The parts should be fine and everything should fit like it belongs... You should check your pushrods to insure they are the right length but I think that would be a nice combo...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

HELL YES!!! a STROKED HEMI... Wouldnt THAT be sweet! But my question is... if the tolerances are so tight in our 5.7s, how in the hell are they reboring to get 6.1L? This would lead me to believe its a completely different block. I have read all over this forum that our 5.7 is not able to be bored. i dunno... Somebody try it and report back to us! (I love saying that) :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think I read that the bore was enlarged 3.5mm or something like that, can't remember for sure.
I'm just going on past experience with a different motor. But if the block is Alum and the hemi has iron sleeves then all you have to do is bore the alum part of the block and then put larger sleeves in.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
Yeup.... thats what it would take... but re-sleaving is not cheap. We are having the SAME issue with the 4.7L... no much room for a larger slug so we are mainly left with what ever CI the stroker crank can get us... but it would be nice to put a larger piston in the hole to help increase the CI.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ya, re-sleeving is not cheap after the fact but it would be cheap for DC to do it for the 6.1. This is one reason why just putting the 6.1 heads on would not work as well, not to say it wouldn't work tho.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think its great and about damn time they start letting us produce big hp #'s with our HEMI's!! and for 61 hp for 350$ is sweet!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 6.1 has a deep-skirted engine block structure wich was redesigned with reinforced bulkheads to handle higher loads. 6.1 is bored out 3.5 millimeters Oil squirters, aimed at the underside of each piston, are added to aid piston cooling for engine durability. A special oil pump pressure relief valve is added to accommodate the squirter oil flow. The oil pan and windage tray are modified to manage oil return to the pan sump at high engine speeds and improve power.
Larger-diameter, flat-top pistons with high-load capability are specified to handle the 6.1-liter HEMI’s compression ratio, which was increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1. Connecting rods are redesigned and make use of higher-strength powder metal material. New floating piston pins are introduced to handle higher loads.
The 6.1-liter HEMI’s crankshaft is forged from micro-alloy steel and rotates in tri-metal main bearings for high-load capability. The crankshaft damper is retuned for higher engine speeds.
The 6.1-liter HEMI features cylinder head ports designed with larger cross-sectional area. This allows 11 percent higher flow in the intake ports, and 13 percent higher flow in the exhaust ports.
A billet steel, high-strength camshaft features more overlap and lift for better performance.
Intake valves feature hollow stems and 2 mm larger heads compared to the 5.7L engine, allowing more air flow. The hollow exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to dissipate heat efficiently. Premium valve springs with external dampers enhance the 6.1-liter HEMI’s valvetrain and enable higher engine speed operation to 6,400 rpm. The valvetrain system enhancements allow the peak output engine speed to increase to 6,000 rpm from 5,000 rpm — a 20 percent increase. Fuel injector flow capacity is also increased by 14 percent over the 5.7-liter engine. Electronic throttle control is shared with the 5.7-liter HEMI, but breathes through a revised high-flow air cleaner box outfitted with a tuned resonator delivering a deep performance sound character (and good for an extra eight horsepower).
Exhaust headers on the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI are individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell. Exhaust runners allow increased gas flow while maintaining fast catalyst light-off, while adding 12 horsepower over the 5.7-liter engine’s cast manifolds.
To control the combustion process, SRT engineers fine-tuned the engine management system using dual knock sensors with premium fuel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.