DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For more displacement, SRT engineers bored out the diameter of the cylinders in the HEMI by 3.5 millimeters each in order to increase the total displacement to 6.1 liters from 5.7 liters. Compression ratio was also increased to 10.3:1 from 9.6:1, increasing engine efficiency and power.

Engine breathing was increased with new higher-flow cylinder heads, a specially designed intake manifold and fresh-air induction system, and exhaust headers with individual tubes encased in a stainless steel shell. All are unique to the 6.1-liter HEMI engine. Larger-diameter valves and reshaped ports in the heads allow for maximized air flow. The intake manifold was designed with larger-diameter and shorter runners for higher-speed tuning. Exhaust is routed through a large-diameter (2.75-inch vs. 2.5-inch) exhaust system with 4-inch chrome tips.

To further increase horsepower, performance-oriented camshaft profiles were developed to allow more air in and out of the cylinders, as well as manage a higher engine speed. SRT engineers increased the HEMI’s peak power output engine speed nearly 20 percent to 6,000 revolutions per minute (rpm) from 5,000 rpm. Intake and exhaust valve stems are hollow, and the exhaust valve stems are filled with sodium to help dissipate heat more efficiently.

The high-performance SRT 6.1-liter HEMI is strengthened with redesigned components, including a reinforced engine block, forged steel crankshaft, high-strength powdered-metal connecting rods, floating-pin pistons (cooled by oil squirters), and an oil pan modified to manage oil return to the pan sump at high engine speeds.

The rumor is these modifications actually decreased the size of the block, allowing it to fit in the new dakota front end, think it would fit in a genIII now?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Question, how could it decrease the size of the block? It can't. Now if they put different headers, different intake then it might change the size of the whole engine. I don't know if that is enough for it to fit into the dak. But just boring it out wouldn't make a bit of difference on the size, it would be the exact same size.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just read my post, it sounds like I'm being a cock. Not trying to be that way, I must have a bad way of wording things, sorry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No worries, you are right actually, I meant the engine itself not the block...yes, it does appear the mods to the headers and intake etc. made the engine a tad smaller, that's what i meant to say, thanks for pointing that out...

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I read on another site that the 6.1 is getting cancelled cause of the gas prices

·
Registered
75 Posts
I seriously doubt it would be any smaller. If the 6.1 did fit, you could always have some custom headers made to make the room you need. I doubt it would be too expensive. Also a custom sheetmetal intake would probably help the fitment too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Greyhemi said:
I seriously doubt it would be any smaller. If the 6.1 did fit, you could always have some custom headers made to make the room you need. I doubt it would be too expensive. Also a custom sheetmetal intake would probably help the fitment too.
Custom headers and intake manifolds are very expensive. I'm guessing about 1.5-2K a piece if not more. That is alot of money esp since that just 2 small pieces to the engine, the engine it's self would lots of paychecks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
RoadKill05 said:
Custom headers and intake manifolds are very expensive. I'm guessing about 1.5-2K a piece if not more. That is alot of money esp since that just 2 small pieces to the engine, the engine it's self would lots of paychecks.
yes, but I was saying that just to say it could be done. I doubt anyone would have some custom headers or intake made just to fit one in a Dakota, but I just meant it could be done. I know people who have had to do it with LS1 motors in other cars such as a RX7 or a foxbody mustang.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I Want One!!!!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read on another site that the 6.1 is getting cancelled cause of the gas prices
Actually UncBob...

The V-10 option in the SRT-10 is being cancelled because of its poor fuel economy on a production vehicle. I don't believe this applies to the hand-built Viper. The SRT-10's V-10 is being replaced with the 6.1 Hemi. The Hemi 300s & Magnums are being upgraded to the 6.1 Hemi.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I find it amazing that with the high gas prices, my dodge dealer can hardly keep a 300C or a Magnum with a hemi on the lot. They have however had a Ram SRT-10 on the lot for over a year.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
DamnYankee said:
Actually UncBob...

The V-10 option in the SRT-10 is being cancelled because of its poor fuel economy on a production vehicle. I don't believe this applies to the hand-built Viper. The SRT-10's V-10 is being replaced with the 6.1 Hemi. The Hemi 300s & Magnums are being upgraded to the 6.1 Hemi.
I think he said that upgrade was being cancelled also

Course I have no way of knowing if he knows what he is talking about

Where are you getting your info and how recent is it

·
Registered
193 Posts
uncBob wrote:

I think he said that upgrade was being cancelled also

Course I have no way of knowing if he knows what he is talking about

Where are you getting your info and how recent is it
This is from the dealer and this was two weeks ago. Also, the dealer stated there were no plans to ever for the 6.1 Hemi in the regular production Ram 1500/2500/3500 trucks since the engine is reserved only for the SRT model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.