DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
mafosa
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. on a budget. cant i go 20 over with the pistons, manley rods and 6.1 crank to safley fit and work together in a 5.7 block. seems like the cheapest and best way to go.
i know you guys are going to beat me up on this. i have a 5.7 block sitting in my garage. the strokers are nice, but just out of my price range.
so try to keep it simple for me.
thanks.
larry

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
o.k. on a budget. cant i go 20 over with the pistons, manley rods and 6.1 crank to safley fit and work together in a 5.7 block. seems like the cheapest and best way to go.
i know you guys are going to beat me up on this. i have a 5.7 block sitting in my garage. the strokers are nice, but just out of my price range.
so try to keep it simple for me.
thanks.
larry
The forged crank and manley rods are not a bad idea along with forged pistons if you are really going to lean into it.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
yes you can Larry..that's the route I'm taking...I've already got a 5.7 block done 20 over and am saving money for the stroker assembly...

·
0 Posts
So thats all you have to do to make a 5.7L a 6.1L is just use the 6.1L stock piston, rods, crank and bore the 5.7L block 20 over...If so thats a cheap way if you have a spare block laying around

·
6.05 at 54.66 in the dirt
916 Posts
You will need to go 120 over for a 5.7 to turn into a 6.1... 345 liter into 370

·
0 Posts
So really want the guys above plan really wont get them any more power from extra cube or anything. Its more basically a forged 5.7L. If thats the case rasie that compression to 11.1 and make that 5.7L run:rck:

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
So thats all you have to do to make a 5.7L a 6.1L is just use the 6.1L stock piston, rods, crank and bore the 5.7L block 20 over...If so thats a cheap way if you have a spare block laying around
No. You stroke it, not bore it.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
.138 over actually
I think....
That is what a guy on here has done, pumpshop 04 is his name. Don't even wanna know what that block looks like...

·
mafosa
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
o.k. so.. cant i go with 20 over wisco pistons, manley stroker rods and a k-1 stroker crank? isnt that a stroker kit for $2,100.00 except you can buy them indiviually.
just bouncing some ideas around.
larry

·
6.05 at 54.66 in the dirt
916 Posts
Your thinking of Richard on here. I have actualy rode in that truck since the change over and was suprised. Its been to the sand drags and ran and also on asp. Think its going on the dyno the same night mine is for my replacement motor.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
to answer your question like no one else is, yes you can. I have a 5.7 block bored .040" over with 6.1 crank, scat rods, ross pistons. If you go with a stroker kit, you will most likely run into clearance issues with the parts in the back of the block requiring more machining costs, just a heads up. The K1 392 kit with wiseco pistons is a nice kit.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Your thinking of Richard on here. I have actualy rode in that truck since the change over and was suprised. Its been to the sand drags and ran and also on asp. Think its going on the dyno the same night mine is for my replacement motor.

wait until it gets some more miles and abuse on it. The cylinder walls will be so out of round and distorted blow by and oil consumption will be prevalent

·
Registered
164 Posts
this is the kit ive been looking at for the last few weeks , is there clearance problems with this kit and also i know it depends on the mods but is there a round about number for what gains to expect ? been searching some and havent found any dyno numbers yet .

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
wait until it gets some more miles and abuse on it. The cylinder walls will be so out of round and distorted blow by and oil consumption will be prevalent
Agree'd Grant....The rod angle is also severe as well as piston speed. Put in layman's terms is that the piston wants to come out the side of the block intstead of going straight up the hole because of the short piston skirt required. Cylinder walls will go out of round because of this causing the rings to lose contact with the cylinder walls which = blowby, oil consumption, loss of power and a greater chance of detonation. That 5.7/392 combo also puts a ton of stress on the piston, piston skirts and pin's.

Edit......Also we have never seen a true balanced rotating asssemble or a perfect indexed stroker crankshaft in any of the so called drop em in a let er buck stroker kit's. You can buy a rough ground stroker kit crank and save $100. Takes $200 plus to balance and index. Denny now orders the first rough ground crank that comes off the boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.