DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been stuck with my base radio with 4 speakers long enough. I went ahead and purchased a new JVC head unit with a built in HD tuner(we have lots of HD radio stations around the DFW area) and 4 Pioneer speakers in 6.5" round. Installation was a breeze and I was amazed at how much better the system sounded after I replaced only the head unit. With 19 Watts RMS x 4 channels, it actually made the factory speakers sound very good. The Pioneers actually don't sound that good right now, but I have located a very small 4 channel amp with 50 watts x 4 channels that will be going in soon along with a single 10" sub under the passenger rear. That is enough for me.

For anyone looking to improve the base radio, just replace the head unit!!! You won't believe the difference.

Todd

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
I had the same experience. Replaced the pathetically weak factory head unit with a decent Kenwood, 50Wx4. The difference was huge, even with the stock speakers. That got me by for another few months, but then the passenger front 6X9 was ruined. I put Sony X-plods up front and some Alpine 6's in the rear. It sounded very good just like that, but I wanted to feel a little true bass so I put an MTX 10" woofer under the rear seat with an Audiobahn 400W amp. Now it's just right.

With the last few new vehicles I've had, I've been satisfied with the stock systems. ('02 Impala LS, 99 Blazer, '00 Grand Cherokee, '02 F-150). I'm no audiophile, but for today's standards, the factory head unit and speakers really are miserable in these trucks.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Replaced HU in both my wife's 2002 amd my 2005 so I could play MP3s

Replaced the 4 speakers in my 2005

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
my flip out tv really woke up my factory infinity sound system. it sounds like i spent a good amount of money in speakers and an amp when all i did was change the radio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.