Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have read that after putting a bigger 55 mm throttle body on a neon the engine becomes more jumpy and less easy to drive. Is this right? Or does it just let more air in and still just the same to drive?
Cheers

·
Registered
493 Posts
Swapping the whole TB, yes, it becomes more jumpy. The throttle return spring is weaker and the cable cam is shaped differently. With some patience and some basic hand tools, you can swap the butterfly shaft and spring over without any trouble.

There are a lot of people, including myself, that just left the atx parts in there and got used to driving like that. However, I've found it difficult to maintain steady high rpm's around corners (like autocross) and it's quite annoying now...

Best of luck!

·
HoodooGuru
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks mate. I was hoping to keep the original tb and get it bored out. Would it be ok then with all the standard springs etc? I want the better inhale of air but not if its gunna jump.
Thanks.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
The throttle response is quicker alot and that is where we get the jerk. It will take some getting used to.But you will LIKE! After you get used to it. It's hard not to spin on take off.

Radar---The only problem with my rpm's in a turn is I cannot not really get them too high or Im spinning my tires. Even to turn into a parking lot if I goose it in 2nd on the bind I could roast em. I dont think I could roast em in third but they damn sure feel like they could break free from spinning and I really dont want that at 45-50 in a 25-30 mph turn.Both of my front tires spin (but not all the time) sometimes I get two black marks sometimes one and occasionally 4 when I do an E-brake turn LOL!

LATER

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmm, say with nothing changed on the car, completely stock ATX, would getting the TB bored out give a good improvement? (98 DOHC 150hp plymouth) also what would be the cost on something like that

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
you could have it bored to 55 mm. for about 100 $ here in the states.
You wont notice as much jump I dont figure as do US MTX owners. You already have
52 mm t/b ( I beleive) where a MTX is necked down to around a 48-49 mm. so going to a 55 was a big jump in air.Check out the 60 mm t/b Im not sure but it may be the ATX way to go. G-DAY

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed a 60mm throttle body from modern performance on my soch. You can definitely feel a difference. Im not sure it can be used on a plastic manifold. I just switched to a ported aluminum manifold. And it´s difficult to fit anything lager on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey i have a sohc 05 neon and was going to get the 60mm throttle body, why couldnt i use it with my stock intake? Im wondeering cause i dont wanna buy it for no reason, but is yours set up like mine? i have the beautiful black hose that looks like an accordian that is inbetween my throttle body, and my intake thats about 12 inches long. Would i have to change my intake just for the throttle body? If so im gonna be pissed. I have the plastic intake manifold which is one cheap lookin piece of crap, but what can ya do right. Everyone says the indy manifold hurts your power more then help ya, so no use in wasting 459 on it. But was looking forward to putting the throttle body on there. Have heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
890 Posts
ExtremeODD said:
Hmm, say with nothing changed on the car, completely stock ATX, would getting the TB bored out give a good improvement? (98 DOHC 150hp plymouth) also what would be the cost on something like that
You have the slowest, least powerful combination you can have. Not to be an insult, just letting you know. The ATX hurts, but the DOHC ATX hurts even more. The SOHC ATX is actually a better option.

DOHC MTX>SOHC MTX>SOHC ATX>DOHC ATX

Anyway, if that is going to be your first mod, I would hold off. I'd go for a CAI and header first, followed by a UDP. Then an MTX swap, then the throttle body.

Just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.