DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting this question out to any Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep techs, salesmen, etc. :

I bought a 2005 Magnum RT AWD last May from a local Denver dealership. Although I was leary at first because the car had 33000 miles on it at the time, it was very clean and was "5 Star Certified" by Dodge.

I recently had the second oil change performed since we bought the car and was informed that it is way overdue for a tune up ($200). The tune up was part of the 30000 mile scheduled maintenace interval according to the owner's manual.

In the certification paperwork under the Maintenance Standards section it states the following: Perform the next maintenance interval according to the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

According to the dealer, the "next maintenance interval" was the 36000 mile interval which was basically just an oil change. When I asked them why they did not make sure that the plugs were new at that time the reply was that they assume that the previous owner kept up with all prior maintenance intervals??

Apparently I was wrong to assume that a Brand Spankin' Used Dodge 5 Star Certified car would have been at least current on the maintenance schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. It has plenty of power (I think it will almost keep up with my LS1 Camaro), plenty of room for my family and related stuff and perfomed flawlessly in a recent snow storm here in the mountains.

If it comes down to it I will perform the tune up myself. It just does not make sense that I should be doing this out of my own pocket on a car that was certified by Dodge. Apparently, part of the certification process is to make assumptions regarding prior maintenance. This is what burns me up. :VHOT:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ask to talk to the service manager. If that does not work, get in touch with the regional representative.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The list is very comprehensive - 125 check points. However, the spark plugs are not specifically mentioned in this list. I guess my question would be: is the industry standard to observe only the items on the "next maintenance interval" or should they have certified that the previous maintenance intervals were perfomed to bring everything up to date through the "next maintenance interval"?

I have spoken to the managers and they contend that they are only liable for the items on the next maintenance interval which did not include checking the plugs in this case.

What leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing is their literal interpretation of the wording in the certification document with the intention of getting away with the bare minimum. Apparently it was my bad to assume that this would bring everything up to date (which I am quite sure was the intent of the author of the certification document). Although I have not given up and may contact the regional representative, whatever the outcome I think that this is just another example of poor customer service that reflects on auto dealers as a whole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.