DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do R/T's have any high performance cam, not crazy lift but better than a regular 5.9. Do they have R/T cams?

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Nope. Nothing special about the stock R/T truck cam. There is a cam floating around that's known as the "R/T+1" cam. I've read it's not worth the time/money/effort.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As mentioned above same cam as base 5.9 in any ram etc.

If you change cam go to a lift not exceeding .544 and go for a computer friendly dur around 210.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer, I was hoping they would have something better than stock

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
Bummer, I was hoping they would have something better than stock
There are many proven cams other than stock out there. What's your intent?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drag, but mostly street legal though, i commute 2-3 days a week

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
With your mods, you may want to consider a 210 or 210x cam. Many run them and love em. I'll be installing a 210x cam in a couple of months. Do a search on the usual forums and get opinions. Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Street legal? I live in Cali :( stupid smog

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Do they actually hook up the sniffers or use your onboard diagnostic? You will be fine if you dont go wild on a cam if they dont use OBDII. When you go with a crazy cam then your idle will usually suffer and that will throw a check engine code. It is an easy fix to get your idle back to stock though.

·
Dakota for life!
823 Posts
So you live in Cali? That sucks! Cali doesn't like big cams. Yes, they use the sniffer, check for codes and visual check for compliant aftermarket parts. That's half the reason I moved to Arizona last year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
check out hughes engines thats were i got mine it's about 512 lift int 520 exhaust and 208 dur int and 214 dur exhaust all there cams are 200 USD after 100 dollar core any thing higher and you need serious comp tuning

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would that cam still work with a 98 5.2L? I'm looking to put a cam in my truck but I don't really have a whole lot of cash - I'm assuming you could run the same cam in each motor because they're based off the same platform, correct?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not too familiar with 5.2s but go to hughes's website and get there phone number and they will talk you through every thing including what you have all ready done to it and they will suggest a cam for you that matches your wants and needs without killing the engine they know nothing but MOPAR so give em a call and tell kevin or tim that mike from georgia sent ya and he wants to know if his heads are ready lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cam will work but you will also need new valve springs to handle the higher lift and new pushrods.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cam will work but you will also need new valve springs to handle the higher lift and new pushrods.
heck I just bought new heads lol came with upgrade springs heads should be here wednesday hopefully friday or saturday I'll be rollin again that is if push rods are short enough. took a couple thousandth off the block

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.