DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so long story short my truck was stolen, I got it back and after it was looked at by a mechanic they said it was good. well I was driving it and noticed smoke, to find out the hose for the heater core had a hole in it. so I replaced the hose and filled my radiator with coolant, while I was at it I checked the oil and that was low as well, so I topped off. while driving it it to work one day I noticed the temp was really high 240-250 range, so I replaced the thermostat with a 180 and again topped off my coolant, it worked for a little while but then coming home it was doing the same thing and on the dash there was a check gages light. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my truck is a 2000 ram 1500 with the 5.9 magnum engine

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does your heater work? Dijya "burp" the air outta your coolant system? If not,CAREFULLY remove the radiator cap (engine cold is best) n with the engine running, squeeze the upper radiator hose as the engine warms up. If you have someone in the cab run the engine at about 2000 RPM is best, or you could operate the throttle with 1 hand n squeeze the hose with the other. These coolant systems are a chasm of spaces n the heater core is well above the level of the rest of the system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the heater does work I thought it could be a worn out belt and it could be slipping so I replaced the belt I also changed the coolant temperature sending unit and today it over heated and went all the way to around 260 degrees so I shut the truck off and let it cool down it popped a p0118 code and a p0305 code

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Voltage Too High
P0305 Cylinder #5 Misfire

I'm wondering if the truck is actually over heating or is it just the sensor issue. Did you notice any change in the temp readings after you changed the sensor? When it over heats are you driving at speed 45+ or stop and go driving? Loosing any coolant?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after I changed the sensor I noticed more fluctuation in the temperature but out of curiosity I popped the radiator cap off and ran the truck till the thermostat opened and I found that there was air in the system and my check engine light went away but its still popping the code but as far as the #5 misfire I ordered the innova obd2 3160 which I believe will show me compression. So I guess if I need to pull off the head I might as well do my cam swap and port and polish the heads!!!

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
are you losing coolant to nowhere, tailpipe, any oil in the coolant or foamy dipstick, or a strong gas smell in the crank case, symptoms, evidence?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
after I changed the sensor I noticed more fluctuation in the temperature but out of curiosity I popped the radiator cap off and ran the truck till the thermostat opened and I found that there was air in the system and my check engine light went away but its still popping the code but as far as the #5 misfire I ordered the innova obd2 3160 which I believe will show me compression. So I guess if I need to pull off the head I might as well do my cam swap and port and polish the heads!!!
NAH! DON'T REUSE THE STOCK HEADS. :dev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t have any leaks that are visible as far as coolant goes but I haven’t dug into the engine at all and when I check my dipstick there is no evidence of coolant being mixed with oil

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
from the parts store most let you resource a pressure tester kit. this will allow u to look at it cold, still and pumped. I have found many leaks this way. you need to sustain 16lbs.
also look into the cab while you have it pumped up. there may be sweet on the carpet.
LICK THE CARPET!
I have also found that a vented, (recommended) vented rad cap is not a sustained 16lbs. but a BURPING 16lb. I opted out of the vented cap for the non vented type. way better to control heat! this has to do with the lose washer under the cap.
also if you like to reinvent the wheel, drill a hole in the water neck thermostat. a 1/8th right around the outside edge will help you purge traped air from the heater core.
aLL & all I think you might have a head gasket issue! NBD-

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
pressure test!
pressure test the cylinders and
pressure test the rad.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
you maybe burning coolant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to fix the coolant issue..... operator error too many air bubbles in it lol however I am still getting a p0305 code I’ve done a compression test and the cylinder was holding well above 100 ft lbs of pressure I am going to try and change the pcv valve to see if that helps any other ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I have replaced plugs wires and the cap and rotor and also moved the plug to a different cylinder I also did a compression test that passed I ha d also ran a full can of sea foam through the break booster line to clean out the vacume system I also replaced the Pcv valve to rule out spart knock from oil coming though the valve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.