DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am new to the site. I have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 with a 3.7 V6 in it. I love my truck. I am going to buy a 5.7 Hemi for it really soon. What all will I be needing to change? I know I'll have to get all the electronics and etc. for it. Will I need to change my transmission? I really want it to be 5 speed (what I have now). I am also wanting to Supercharge it or turbo it. Anyone have experiences with that? Let me know. I appreciate it a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,813 Posts
I think you would be better off to:

A) Trade it in for a HEMI. Not the cheapest way but it will cost you less than doing a complete engine swap.

B) Keep it and, yank it out, rebuild it with stronger rods and better pistons then supercharge/Turbo it. You could make more HP than a stock HEMI for a fraction of the cost to do a complete swap.

C) Find a complete HEMI donor truck and take EVERYTHING from it... to include engine transmission ALL computers and electronics... this will cost you an arm and a leg... And mostlikely this will not be the end of the Money pit.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just did some searching on the site. I should of done it first :banghead: They have short cab/bed with hemi's in them right? Also do they come 5 speeds?
 

·
the sky is the limit
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
it is going to be a huge pain in the ass to swap from a 3.7 to a hemi.
id find your same truck with a hemi in it... trade in for an 06 or sell yours and get a 03-05 hemi.
 

·
the sky is the limit
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
My10SecGT said:
Thanks, I just did some searching on the site. I should of done it first :banghead: They have short cab/bed with hemi's in them right? Also do they come 5 speeds?
yes they have single cab short bed hemi's... they usually run low 15's in the 1/4 stock.

the stock hemi transmission is a 5 speed automatic.. as for manual transmission you can get, i dno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
far as I know the Hemi only comes in the 5 speed auto. only the 4.7's come are available with the manual.
 

·
The Doc
Joined
·
302 Posts
My10SecGT said:
Hey guys. I am new to the site. I have a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 with a 3.7 V6 in it. I love my truck. I am going to buy a 5.7 Hemi for it really soon. What all will I be needing to change? I know I'll have to get all the electronics and etc. for it. Will I need to change my transmission? I really want it to be 5 speed (what I have now). I am also wanting to Supercharge it or turbo it. Anyone have experiences with that? Let me know. I appreciate it a lot.
Dude, if you are that flush with $$$, just go get the truck you want and be done with it. Even with a junk yard engine and tranny, you are looking at 3K-4K in parts alone. Then FI is another 5K, not to mention all of the other bits you will need. All tallied, you're looking at ~10K. As far as a MT, you're looking at some serious aftermarket tuning to get the computer to forget about the auto. Now if you're going with the Mopar perf HEMI, that's $7500 for the engine, but I think the computer is different so a MT can be used. The only other option I know of, is a few '03 1500's had the MT, but Dodge quickly put the kibash on them. If you could find one of those junked, you'd be golden. Anyhow, best of luck and keep us updated.
The Doc..... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
yeah, it would be your best option, to just go get yourself a brand new ram with the hemi in it. You could just buy it and drive it. It would cost less then swapping out the 6. You can get a 6 spd manual with the hemi if you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Brian06QuadCab said:
yeah, it would be your best option, to just go get yourself a brand new ram with the hemi in it. You could just buy it and drive it. It would cost less then swapping out the 6. You can get a 6 spd manual with the hemi if you want.
short of purchasing a 2500, I have never seen a manual in a hemi
 

·
All Around Great Guy
Joined
·
12,675 Posts
Manual transmission is only available in 2500 series, and to be honest with you, the gearbox sucks. I drove one and between the granny first gear(whine) and the hemi tick i thought it was going to grenade. Get yourself a 2wd hemi 03 and be done with it. It will be cheap for something with 50k. With 1000 bucks in mods you will be in the 13's easy.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top