DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trading my 2000 durango 4.7 for 2004 duranngo with 5.7 engine,has there been any major problems with this engine,comments pro and con much appreciated.
Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have two Hemi's that I am not impressed with. When they are running they are acceptable, it's you just never know when they will shut off. There seems to be an engine management control problem that will sometimes shut off the engine at low speeds, generally while turning and running the A/C or defroster. There is also a valvetrain issue that has come to be called the "Hemi Tick" which is an very annoying ticking noise from the valve train. The stalling issue has caught the attention of the NHTSA and they have opened a defect investigation. I personally won't buy another Hemi powered vehicle.

NHTSA Action Number : PE05027 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : DODGE Model: DURANGO
Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION Year : 2005
Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
Date Investigation Opened : May 16, 2005
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED 24 VEHICLE OWNER (VOQ) COMPLAINTS ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALLING IN MODEL YEAR 2004 THROUGH 2005 DODGE DURANGO AND RAM 1500 TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.7L ENGINE (ENGINE CODE "D"). THE COMPLAINTS ALLEGE INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALL AT VARIOUS SPEEDS AND DRIVING CONDITIONS. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE INCIDENT FREQUENCY, TREND, SCOPE, AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES ASSOCIATED WITH THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

Hopefully NHTSA will find enough to continue and convince Dodge to expedite a fix action. I have already filled with NHTSA for both of my trucks, if anyone has a Hemi that stalls I would encourage them to do the same.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i had mine for almost a year despite the problems everybody is having i have no problems with my D at all . it has been just perfect. :D :D :bman:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had my 5.7 since last August. I've had no issues with the engine at all. In fact if it weren't for the trouble free and powerful engine, I'd be pretty disappointed due to other design flaws.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No issues at all. I have an 04 limited and it is great.

·
johnny c's HEMI
740 Posts
Minor issues here..... Nothing you aren't finding on any other new vehicle!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Just some minor issues too. Nothing to do with the engine. Very pleased. I am considering an '06 HEMI Charger to replace my Firebird.

·
Investigator
992 Posts
I have had no problems with my 04 hemi lmt'd. I drive it daily, but have averaged under 700 miles per month on it. The only thing I would trade it for would be and SRT equipped D.. which DC does not make.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I'm surprised that even though there seems to be a lot of owners that say their Hemis are so bad...and yet only 24 have filed? In the United States?

Wow...the problem isn't anywhere near as bad as I have heard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No problems here either. I have an 04 SLT hemi that is going on 1 year old right now with almost 10K on it. The drivetrain has been FLAWLESS! The only problems have been with the off-color plastic whitening on the running boards and top of rear bumper. I would and do easily recommend this engine to anyone that asks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
13k here no problems. <knocking on wood>

·
Registered
198 Posts
Almost 10K and no Hemi problems. A/C and bumper discoloration. If you think the D has problems, check out the Nissan Armada.

·
Christopher
222 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
I'm surprised that even though there seems to be a lot of owners that say their Hemis are so bad...and yet only 24 have filed? In the United States?

Wow...the problem isn't anywhere near as bad as I have heard.
I think the problem may be worse. I bought by 5.7 D back in November and it finally died on me about one week ago. I was slowing down to make a right turn into a parking lot. I was going about 10 mph, turned the wheel and it died. I put it Park and it restarted. The truck has about 18k miles. I took it to dealer and, of course, they could find nothing wrong.

My boss and a co-worker also have 5.7's in their Ram trucks and both of them have stalled 2 times each. Like me, the dealer could find nothing wrong.

Christopher

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
I'd be stupid to say that Hemi engines are not having any problems. I agree there is something with the computer management (not the actual engine) because I have tried to help a few members here diagnose their problems...to no avail unfortunatly.

I'm just surprised only 24 signed on that list.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Make that 25 :metoo:

·
Registered
353 Posts
No problems with the engine itself, but I did have the chip in my key go bad and the D would only run for a few seconds then die....I guess thats the pass key theft deterrent system in action. The engine is great especially with 3.92 gears...

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
That's what theft deterrent is. Someone may be able to get the truck running...but the computer jumps in to save the day.

That doesn't mean that stuff will be stolen...but hey.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone notice any pattern in the stalling Hemi's? I haven't had it happen yet and I have just a little over 10,000. Is there a mileage relation on when this problem is popping up or is it pretty random?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't had a problem yet with mine, just over 14K on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How can we get more to sign up?

I too have filed regarding my Hemi '04 Ram 1500. My local dealership mechanic says that he is aware of over 90 of these trucks in just the Northwest portion of Oregon. Obviously Dodge is not being very cooperative as everytime I call they claim they are unaware of the issue yet they have issued a flash for the engine already?!? :huh: If you or anyone else hasn't filed please do so. Once NHTSA get's over 100 complaints they traditionally will move towards letigations on our behalf. As for those with no issues then you're the lucky one's though it seems it's only a matter time versus actually being lucky?!? :banghead:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.