DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got rid of my 04 Hemi Ram and went with a 99 Durango for my DD. I had a QTP cutout on the Ram and I loved it because I could make the exhaust as loud or as quiet as I wanted, and anywhere in between with the flip of a switch. I'm debating a cutout on the Durango (5.2l) but, don't want to do it unless the open pipe sounds deep enough. Does anyone have a cutout on their 5.2, between the cat and muffler? If so, how does it sound?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just dual exhaust on a D can be tricky. It is due to where the fill neck and tank is located in the rear. Most people I know around here, NM, here duals but they dump out behind the tire. As far as the setup for the cut out goes, if you like then screw everyone elses options. That is the military talking there.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
I think there is a sound clip on here from a year or two ago with an open exhaust (i.e. straight pipe) 5.2L. Don't remember for sure though....

Personal opinion was it sounded awful.

·
Registered
756 Posts
it dont sound bad im running straight pipes until i get my glasspack kpatterson has a sound clip on here just do a search on straight pipes his is a 4.7

·
Work in progress...
1,202 Posts
Novadak had a cutout on his 5.2 dakota and he said that it didn't sound all that good. He now has a magnaflow muffler which he likes better.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
DodgeEnthusiast said:
Novadak had a cutout on his 5.2 dakota and he said that it didn't sound all that good. He now has a magnaflow muffler which he likes better.
Hey that's me!!!! :D
So anyways, straight piped 5.2's sound good because it has a length of pipe after the cat, but it sounds worse when it's dumped right after the cat (like my cutout was) anyways, it had a very deep sound, and it sounded great at WOT, just not as good when driving normally. I probably would have kept it if I had the electric part, because it was a pain climbing under the truck each time and forgetting it was hot :)
YMMV of course.
on the other hand I really miss the loud sound the cutout made, can't compare sound levels with my current magnaflow. I'm almost thinking of getting another cutout and putting it right before the muffler instead of right after the cat, since when they put the magnaflow in they put it further back away from the cat, so If I got a cutout I could put it further away from the cat. Maybe that would have sounded better than the way I had it. A cutout is only 24 bucks, so if you put it in yourself you could hear it before you spend the big bucks for the electric part if you don't like the sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.