DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ram Sport with a 5.2 I would guess it put out 320hp with the mods I did. it keeps up with the new ram's. I read a some post on this but, I needed more info because I'm doing this myself. I am working out the things I need to making the brackets and pulleys and fuel requirements to bolt on a Paxton supercharger on the 318 with 90,000, then get the 5.7 ready after the first engine had it. I was going to install the Hemi with the trans out of a 2003 ram 1500. If I have the PCM
will it run/work with the sensors and instrument cluster I have now? I am also wondering about the driveshaft is the yoke the same spline /diam ,will that need to be changed or shortened? will my exhaust bolt to the manifold's. what problems will I face.

Thanks ahead of time.
Rob.

·
GROUNDED
2,944 Posts
you will need new everything, your gauges will not work, you will need new motor mounts obviously but also new tranny x member plus all the wiring from the newer ram because im sure there are things under that dash that tie into the tranny and pcm.

to tell ya the truth i wouldnt bother, if you want the power stroke your motor its easier and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
124 Posts
handyman09 said:
I have a 2000 Ram Sport with a 5.2 I would guess it put out 320hp with the mods I did. it keeps up with the new ram's. I read a some post on this but, I needed more info because I'm doing this myself. I am working out the things I need to making the brackets and pulleys and fuel requirements to bolt on a Paxton supercharger on the 318 with 90,000, then get the 5.7 ready after the first engine had it. I was going to install the Hemi with the trans out of a 2003 ram 1500. If I have the PCM
will it run/work with the sensors and instrument cluster I have now? I am also wondering about the driveshaft is the yoke the same spline /diam ,will that need to be changed or shortened? will my exhaust bolt to the manifold's. what problems will I face.

Thanks ahead of time.
Rob.
do list the mods that you feel have gotten you to 320hp, have worked on 318s for a while and nothing short of that paxton or n20 is going to get you that kind of power.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
do list the mods that you feel have gotten you to 320hp, have worked on 318s for a while and nothing short of that paxton or n20 is going to get you that kind of power.
:stu:
I too would like to see that.
With the mods in my sig I'm only getting about 205 hp to the ground.

·
Power Adder
144 Posts
I'd believe 320HP at the crank, but definitely not at the rear wheels on a non-stroked 318. Sadly, the drive train sucks up a ton of our expensive horsepower :bawl:

my 2 cents, :gr_patrio
Gamester

·
Registered
994 Posts
for your question, painless might be able to set you up with a harness to adapt your electronics. you'll need that pcm for sure, though. just a thought: you could always run a combo of old school and new school with some analog guages and a FAST system to control the 5.7. it will be expensive, but i'm not going to tell you to stop.

·
Registered
197 Posts
afraid big joe's right, not worth the time / effort. throw a paxton on that b**ch and go smoke them 5.7's, just my opinion, if i had the money my 5.9 would be smokin' every 5.7 around here. but if you got the $ to burn, then i want to see some pictures and a price list,lol.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It depends what you can do for fab work to. Up here where I live you can buy a complete 2003-2006 Dodge Ram with the 5.7+trans+wiring+guages+etc. that you need. Pretty much what I would do in your situation is buy a wrecked 2003-06 Ram and take everything out of it and basically adapt it to your ram it wouldn't be all that difficult but you may have to lengthen wiring and shorten wiring maybe a couple guage mods if you decided to use the newer guages(that would be best to send out for custom work) You would have to adapt things specific to your truck to that wiring harness(might just be easier to change to the new stuff-radio, ac controls, etc.) and just make your own things to hold them(i.e. custom dash) but if you get all the wiring like even the taillight wiring you would probably be best splicing in the old light holders to the new harness.

Now for the big disclaimer lol: I Have not looked at the wiring for the new trucks that being said my above statement for to work you would have to research the plausibility of doing it. I'm sure it's doable but I may require a complete teardown rebuild of your rig.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final decision

I decided to go with the paxton. I almost have every thing I need . I just need to get a TBI body with 2 injectors on it , a 6psi bypass. a 200Lph pump, figure out how to make a pulse box for the injectorsout of a old computer.and finish making the billet aluminum serpentine pulleys. Oh by the way I have 2 of these paxton superchargers if any one is intrested in a project let me know
I'm asking $500.00

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OK, I got many requests to do the mods to get to around 320 HP. here's the top secret info.

1) K/N 6X9 cone W/ cold air system, move ATS to the base of filter.

2) 409 Taylor wires

3) Mallory Promaster coil & 6A Sparkbox

4) Harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers

5) P5007192 PCM/ with a superchips programer for rev/speed limit increases

6) Underdrivern pully set. Chuck The fan and Shroud. install E.fan's and 180 Tstat.
7) Edelbrock Peformer RPM heads for SB Magnum

8) Flowmaster Catback

9) Gibson SS headers, flow Tech cat.

10) 272/278 Roller Cam/Lifters

11) Stage 1 Modification to Manifold and TB

12) Ajustable fuel regulator 55psi will work good.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
He said it would be crank hp, not rwhp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow!

My first post said it was assumed to be 320hp because I can keep up with the hemi's, any engine book covers these mod's. They also state a yeild of 320hp . most of the mod's are common sense. If you beef up your drive train & suspention the power will transfer to the wheels. Power ain't just about the motor. My hp may not be exact but due to the fact the paxton will produce much more power than the standard, most of the mod's I did was to prepair for the supercharger install anyway.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
handyman09 said:
Oh by the way I have 2 of these paxton superchargers if any one is intrested in a project let me know
I'm asking $500.00
I'm assuming that $500 doesn't include any of the plumbing, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

No, sorry. but you can't touch a paxton for what it will cost to make this one work. think of it a a 50% off sale. I can give you a list of goodies you'll need. You have buy a bracket for you application, or do as I did and save a ton of $$$. I'm making most of the stuff to install it. let me know if it raises an eyebrow.

I'm making mine more unique, I will be able to turn it on and off by a switch (just like in mad max).

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
handyman09 said:
No, sorry. but you can't touch a paxton for what it will cost to make this one work. think of it a a 50% off sale. I can give you a list of goodies you'll need. You have buy a bracket for you application, or do as I did and save a ton of $$$. I'm making most of the stuff to install it. let me know if it raises an eyebrow.

I'm making mine more unique, I will be able to turn it on and off by a switch (just like in mad max).

that's nice...if I do ever install a blower, I would rig up something similar to an A/C compressor electric clutch for that reason.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
if I'm towing and don't want the boost going to the motor, for better MPG, to reduce wear on the blower by turning it off when not needed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.