DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L and it's painfully slow and it's such a gas sucker! So I'm wondering if a 5.9 would be worse on gas or not?

·
Registered
150 Posts
worse then what?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Welcome to DT. ... Helpful to mention accurate "actual" mileage, as one fellas good is another fellas bad; perhaps there's an issue, or it needs a tune up.

... Mention cab, diff gears, and tires too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm smelling a troll.

·
Registered
94 Posts
generally the 1500's according to the Maint manuals dont have a gas friendly rear gear, I would consider seeing if yours is in the upper 3 range or even in the 4 range, and consider changing Ring and Pinion Gears, and get into the lower 3's, Just a thought ( have an 85 D150 I changed it from around a 3.50 to a 3.00 Went from 14 MPG to nearer 20)

·
Registered
16 Posts
not much of a differance

I used to have a 2000 half ton with the 318 (5.2L) then my trans decided to burn out. I bought another 00 half ton that was in a nasty rear end collision for cheap. This one had the 360 (5.9L). I swapped the engine and trans. As far a fuel mileage for me it was roughly the same with no load on the highway at 75 mph getting around 12 mpg on a good day. The only noticeable difference was when pulling a load. The 360 has more torque and just a little more HP. There is more of a difference between torque from the 318 to the 360 but the HP is only about a 5 HP difference. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I used to have a 2000 half ton with the 318 (5.2L) then my trans decided to burn out. I bought another 00 half ton that was in a nasty rear end collision for cheap. This one had the 360 (5.9L). I swapped the engine and trans. As far a fuel mileage for me it was roughly the same with no load on the highway at 75 mph getting around 12 mpg on a good day. The only noticeable difference was when pulling a load. The 360 has more torque and just a little more HP. There is more of a difference between torque from the 318 to the 360 but the HP is only about a 5 HP difference. Hope this helps.
Seems honest, should help the OP.

LuvMopars; others/history seems to show 2G (all have OD trans) prefer 4.10 and more; like many, I'm not a 3.55 fan, even with shorter rubber. ... As mentioned, would be respectful to all to drop the bold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts