DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, imma feel real dumb asking this question but i have to. I just purchased a 00 durango 4x4 R/T. Now it didnt have a manual on how to work the 4x4. I am embarassed to say ive only used the push button versions and there all pretty much the same, slow down to about 5mph then select 4hi, 4low, or whatever you want. I noticed the durango has the manual lever. When am I supposed to shift it if I need to change? Also, if i keep it in nuetral, well it just sit in 2hi? or is this ALL TIME AWD?

any help would be appreciated guys.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The R/T is AWD. There is no 2wd selection. 4 hi can be selected up to 50 mph.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so im assuming its probably better to be going slow before you were to shift... Im assuming extremely slow if your going 4low.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Mine is electric but it recomends up to 5mph for shifting into low. It's easier for the transfer case to switch if it's moving just a little. Neutral is just that, use it if you have to pull/tow your D. Otherwise your basically in 4wd all the time difference being the transfer case locks in 4hi vs awd where is acts more like a limited slip diff.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You need to be the Tranny to be in Neutral to shift into 4-low. Everything else you can just shift up to 50 mph, which is why it's called Shift on the Fly. Basically it works exactly the same as the Electronic versions you're used to except you have to do the shifting instead of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I assume you mean 5.9 in 99. 5.7 is the Hemi in the 04. Yes you can shift up to 50 mph. 4 lo is what must be done stopped or low speed.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
On my 03 4.7, you cannot shift into 4wd basically at all with your foot on the gas. Let it begin to slow and it'll shift n/p. 4LO is another story...

The system will not allow it to shift if any wheel is slipping, at least that's my understanding. So, if you're turning, spinning a wheel, not quite straight or under accelleration then this thing isn't shifting. at least not for me.

EDIT: realized you guys were talking about the ones with shift handles. I do not know if the same rules apply, but I'm guessing those fundamentals are there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
mudurango said:
after a quick trial i find that the 99's with 5.2's DO NOT have shift on the fly capability
my 1998 5.2 will shift on the fly, cant imagine why the 99 wouldnt.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I could shift my '97 5.2 on the fly...

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Oh wait... Durango section... yea well my Dakota did that. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have the lever not the buttons so if you had one of these that does shift on the fly tell me how? the 4x4's that i'm used to you have to stop put the vehicle in nuetral then shift the transfer case then shift into gear do i not need to shift the tranny to nuetral?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
I had the lever in my Dakota... between 4H and 2H, you just keep it under 35 and it'll shift right in. However in and out of 4L you need to be almsot stopped (just barely creeping along) and it'll go on in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok i just got back to the house and it pains me to say this but i am an idiot i was going off the assumption that a 99 d was like a 72 chevy(which is the only other 4x4 i')i do have shift on fly capability

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Good to hear

·
Lifted HEMI 4x4
5,519 Posts
i've only had the need to run 4LO once on any truck i've owned (the last 11 years), and it was only for about 2 min. to get out of some snow

·
Registered
125 Posts
john.colorado said:
i've only had the need to run 4LO once on any truck i've owned (the last 11 years), and it was only for about 2 min. to get out of some snow
i live in wisconsin and i usually only hAVE to put my truck in 4wd about 4 or 5 times in the year, usually in heavy snow. i put it in 4wd more often just to make sure everything is working alright, but the lack of snow and the improved snow removal has made it unnecessary to use 4wd more than a few times.

·
'00 Dango
272 Posts
I live in the Colorado Rockies-the land of snow and mud-and am in one or the other every day this time of year. For you flat landers, you must take your foot off the gas to shift into 4-hi. You can do this at any speed up to 50mph (recommend below 35 as the D can grab and slide in slippery conditions...had this happen a time or two and can scare you a little). Simply take your foot off the gas and slide the 4x4 lever through neutral to 4-hi. For 4-lo always stop, then as you are shifting to 4-lo take your foot off of the brake and let the D creep forward. Do not press the accelerator when shifting...ever!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.