DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I read the earlier post about the 4x4 not engaging on his truck, and that the shifter wouldn’t move. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24V. Mine is the shifter will move into all 4 positions. But! The front wheels never engage and I don’t get a 4x4 yellow light on my dash. So where do I need to start to fix this?

·
Diego Serna
418 Posts
Get under the truck and inspect the CAD on the front axle. It is vac controlled so make sure all the lines are connected first, them trace the lines to make sure none of them are broken.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Check for vac at the cad! One is to engage the 4wd and the other is to disengage. The metal lines that run along the frame can get bent or rust up(inside-leak) and will stop the vac from getting to the cad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can slide the fork over on the CAD and never have this problem again. This will keep the front axles turning like it had lockouts locked in. Just remove one E clip slide fork over and put the clip back on. Slide lock sleeve over and line things up and bolt back together.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I got under my truck and followed all the lines from the front axle to the transfer case. None of them were broken or rusted. Kinda stumped now. Is there a test I can run to see if I’m getting actual vacum?

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I pulled the actuators off and started the truck. Got my father to put it in 4H. No vacuum felt. I’m going to have to pull the transfer case aren't I? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
No trace the vac line going to the switch on top of the t case. There must be a break in the line somewhere.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can slide the fork over on the CAD and never have this problem again. This will keep the front axles turning like it had lockouts locked in. Just remove one E clip slide fork over and put the clip back on. Slide lock sleeve over and line things up and bolt back together.
just do this and end the problem for ever. yeppers. plug all vac line from the origin. :rck:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. So I traced all the lines. There are 4. A white, green, red and black line. None of them have any glaring breaks that I can see or feel. I traced them all over the truck. From the transfer case to the CAD to the engine compartment. Im starting to get frustrated.

Ok. So option 1. Can I buy new lines and replace them?

Or option 2. Pull the fork over on the CAD and end all the vacuum issues. My only question with that is what is the over all effect? Will my tires wear more? Will I need to do something to the differential? I love working on my own truck, so if I can stay away from the shop I’d be ever so happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Update into the problem solving.

So I got frustrated looking at all the vacuums lines. So I decided to start over. And pulling each connection and checking for a vacuum.
Right at the vacuum pump - check
First intersection of lines from main line - nothing. I think that tube has a clog in it. I’m going to replace it and see what happens. A lot of the rubber fittings are all rotting too so I’m going to replace those too. Hopefully this will fix my 4x4 and my AC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.