DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of Bilstein 5100 leveling struts yesterday. I engaged my 4x4 on a straight stretch of road and it started giving me some vibs at around 30 mph. From what i've read, this is a hit or miss thing to have happen. But i haven't found any real solution to the problem. Some say an alignment takes care of it, others just live with it. I see KORE has some CV joints that allow for much more flex on the inner joints. Im from WI, so i will be needing the 4x4 in the winter months. I just hope my only solution isn't to lower it back down when the snow flies.

One other thing i havent been able to confirm is the torque split on the transfer case. I thought i saw somewhere that it was 45/55 split. Might this account for the vibes? The CV axles still turn in 2wd, so it has to be related to having power (torque) applied to the front end parts.

Any input or experiences would be great.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hmm. Im putting mine one tomorrow. You really should get an alignment after the level. Most people that I talk to are having the vibes just during acceleration. Try an alignment. See what that gets you.

I hope I dont have this problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
you're right about the cv's always turning, you get the vibration when you have power plus you also are on dry pavement. just level it and forget about it. or get a straight axel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little update. My front end has settled in almost 3/4". For shits and grins, i tried the 4x4 again and to my surprise, the vibrations have been cut in half. It seems apparent that the angle on the CV is the main cause of this. I went under there and started to move and wiggle things around. Im not really impressed with the design and setup of this front end. The diff unit seems to just be hanging in there by rubber mounts. Without even using a prybar, i can get a little movement out of it. I cant imagine what it does under load. I also noticed that there are no real bearings where the CV enters the diff housing. This leads to a small bit of play which when amplified by torque, could very well be the cause of these vibrations.

This is just my take on it. I still cant believe that being such a common occurance, nobody has been able to pin point the cause and effect, and come up with a solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.