DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my truck in 4wheel drive and it doesent switch. It still powers only the rear wheels. Usually I can hear it switch over and feel it when I drive but nothing. In snow/ice only the rear wheels spin. I probably havent used 4X4 since last winter. This could be a unrelated problem but my driver heated seat also stoped working, the light flashes then turns off but the seat never heats up. Could this be a simple fuse problem or something serious?

My truck has 70K miles

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
VM02;

The 4x4 issue could be the T case shift motor, the transfer case control module, the dash switch, or a fuse controlling any of the above. Are the lights glowing on your dash switch??

As for the heated seat, when the light flashes and goes off, you either have a wiring issue, open heating element, or shorted element.

Don

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mike:

With no lights on, sounds like a power issue. I can't point you towards which fuse(s) to check. I am sure that others can.

Hopefully the outcome will be a simple inexpensive fix.

Don

·
Registered
132 Posts
What lights on the 4X4 are you talking about? the little yellow light next to the knob or are you talking about the 4X4 in the cluster? If you mean in the cluster, there isnt a 4X4 light there on the newer ones, My 01 didnt have one and my 03 doesnt have a dash light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pyro1711 said:
What lights on the 4X4 are you talking about? the little yellow light next to the knob or are you talking about the 4X4 in the cluster? If you mean in the cluster, there isnt a 4X4 light there on the newer ones, My 01 didnt have one and my 03 doesnt have a dash light.
The lights next to the switch. They used to light up when I move the switch to engage the 4X4 now they dont.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Do you have a owners manual? It could be the transfer case motor. Maybe on the owners manual it would say what fuse it is. If you don't have one just let me know as I have the same exact vechicle as you!

·
Todd O
933 Posts
The lights are on saying it is in 2wd though, right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tosterho said:
Do you have a owners manual? It could be the transfer case motor. Maybe on the owners manual it would say what fuse it is. If you don't have one just let me know as I have the same exact vechicle as you!
All fuses are good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not sure how hard it is, but I would pull the selector switch and check that. If the light is not lighting up, that would be the second thing I would check since you have already checked all of the fuses. I cant find anything in the Haynes Manual at all on that switch and how to test it.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
I did some more reading and investigating and what I found out is that you need a new transfer case control module or tccm. You can only get one from a dealer or a junkyard! Brand new they are like 400 but you should be able to find one from a junkyard for like 40 bucks.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
It could just be the switch that is what I would check first but if it is not engaging it might be the tccm. Check the wiring to the switch and if you have power there replace the switch first if not then you will need to follow the wiring down to see what is not giving it power. Good luck and let us know what you find out!!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
ViperMike:

Sorry I caught this late but it looks like ya solved the main issue. Unfortunately, a BIG mistake most of us make is NOT engaging the 4WD often enough, which can cause failure. Same for the parking brake. Back in the day, we were taught to always engage the 4WD at least once a month, ALL year long, to keep everything limber. I still do it to this day.

I do LOVE the "On The Fly" 4WD these days, beats the hell outa gettin out in bad weather to lock the hubs, but I really HATE it bein done all electronically now. Give me that old time mechanical linkage..... :thatfunny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.