DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question about my 4x4 drive. We have gotten a lot of snow this year and I have had to use my 4wheel on and off this winter. But just lately I have had to use it a lot and when I kick it out of 4wheel some times it makes the truck jerk or kinda buck while driving. Is this normal? I have a manual 4wheel drive. it doesnt do it all the time, just some times. I thought before i just hit a drift or a snow chunk, but now im starting to think it is my 4x4. do i have anything to worry about?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where is the drain plug?

I switch back and forth a low speed. around 5-20 mph..

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Try putting the transmission in neutral before you make the change, see if it still does it, that would take the preasure off the drive line.

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
Ive switched out of 4x4 at 70 and didnt feel it. Mines the electronic one so dont know if that makes a difference.

How often do you have to change transfer case fluid? Maybe the fluid is bad?

·
Registered
424 Posts
have you had the diff fluid changed, if not, i would suggest doing it...

also, like the others state, try coming to a stop if you are in 4h and go into neutral to get out of 4x4 mode...

are you running in 4h or 4l?

i believe if you are in 4L then you must come to a complete stop and put the truck in neutral, if in 4H and it's still doing it, could be time for a diff flush...

i have the manual shifter as well and haven't really had any issues in 4H shifting in and out...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, i know i need to change my diff fluids..its time..just too cold. It doesnt do it all the time, just every now and then. I am only using 4h.

I think it might not be disengaging when i get out of it, thats why it jumps maybe.

·
Come Git Some
1,155 Posts
i have never had a problem with my ram, but a similar problem with my old silverado.. i think 2 bolts on the t-case were loose and my truck would jump when goin into 2wd. Im not 100% sure it was the transfer case it was a few years ago, but i do remeber 2 bolts being loose to cause the jerk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.