DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yeah, i just have some stockers on right now, and they are bald! any other 4x2's out there with some good suggestions? i want an tire i can run all year, but something thats really good in the snow, and i'd really like to use something like a 275/75/16 instead of the 225 thats on there now...think 275 is too wide for a snow tire?

·
Registered
503 Posts
My Brother runs BF Goodrich long trail on his 97 2wd ram and likes them. I run them on my 95 4X4 and they are by far the best traction tire I've had imo. Also they are fairly cheap and wear well. I have 25K on mine and they still look new.

·
Registered
287 Posts
take a look at tire reviews right now, and many other tire shop websites, you will find that the best rated truck tire now is the bridgestone dueler at revo. its a great tire that has amazing traction and handling and at the same time very quite. the stock 225's are very small and skinny tires they look a little to small. i dont know if a 275 75 will work but i was told by a few sites and tireshops that a 265 75 is the largest for a 2wd truck. the 265 are a much bigger tire. the thing you will have to realize is by going to such a bigger tire, you power and acceleration will suffer, especially with a 3.9 also by going with a larger tire, there is a little more work on the power steering, so oversized tires can cause the pump to burn out in the long run. your braking will also suffer. these are some of the negetives many people dont realize when upgrading to a bigger tire size, i am just pointing it out. i would def. upgrade the tiresize from the 225, but i dont know if you want to go as big as 265 or 275, only because you only have a 3.9, but thats all up to you. the bigger and wider tiresize really looks badass, and has much better traction. personally i would recommended the dueler at REVO. Good luck

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
My experience with the Michelin LTX M&S in 245 75R16 is that design is very poor for traction in snow, slush and ice.

For 9 months of the year I am a big fan of the Bridgestone Dueler HL tire, which has very good wet and dry braking and low higher speed noise. The performance of the Dueler HL in snow is only fair though.

There are several other flavors of Dueler tread patterns. My brother bought the Dueler AT on a 15 inch wheel on a Ford Ranger and reported pretty good performance in snow.

In these times of higher fuel prices it is worth considering the rolling resistance of tires as this effects MPG more than most realize.

Consumers Reports is the only organization I know of that tests for rolling
resistance of tires.
Quote from CR:
" Fuel mileage at a price. Some tires roll with less drag than others. The
lower a tire's rolling resistance, the more fuel you can save. Those savings
can be significant. {Pickup and SUV} Tires with the lowest rolling resistance
delivered nearly 2 mpg more at a steady 65 mph in our highway tests {2003
four-wheel-drive Ford Explorer XLT 4x4} than those with the highest rolling
resistance. The catch: While some high-scoring tires had low rolling
resistance, most tires with the lowest rolling resistance also had lower
overall scores."

In their 11/2004 Pickup & SUV tire test CR the
lowest rolling resistance tires rated 'excellent' were the:

Bridgestone Dueler H/T (D684)
Michelin Cross Terrain
Continental ContiTrac
BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A

The Pickup & SUV tires with the worst rolling resistance were the:

Pirelli Scorpion STA
Kelly Safari Signature
Yokohama Geolander H/T-SG051

A tire with a 'very good' rolling resistance and high scores in other handling
and braking tests was the Hankook DynaPro AS RH03

·
Yoooper.mi
10 Posts
Tall and narrow, you want to get to the pavement, wide tires will ride up on the snow killing traction. Cooper discoverer is a top notch snow tire.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
you try the bfg at? i got to try them in snow and icing conditions last winter and thought they did good

·
Registered
503 Posts
yooper.mi said:
Tall and narrow, you want to get to the pavement, wide tires will ride up on the snow killing traction. Cooper discoverer is a top notch snow tire.
Wow. Normally I like Cooper tires alot. But I HATED the Discoverer. My truck was like a three legged sow with those on there. I took them off at about 60% tread and put on the Long Trails. Just one mans opinion though, And you guys get a lot of snow up there in the UP. Maybe I am missing something.:dunno:
:dunno:

·
Yoooper.mi
10 Posts
Bought a 94 Ram it has new Cooper Discoverer on it no problem so far. They ride a little hard, load range E, but I'm told they will push snow,all 260"-320" of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been running the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 245 75R16 on my truck since I took the stock tires off. I love them. I have read a few reviews that they wear out fast but that has not been my experiance. I have 159k on my truck so I put a lot of miles on. They usually last about 18 months if I keep them rotated and properly inflated. I just switched to the 10 ply because I do quite a bit of hauling, firewood etc...
I like the tires because I run the gamet in driving. I drive 70 miles round trip to work everyday mostly highway but on the weekend am usually off road hunting, camping, hauling or towing. The tires are very quiet on the highway but have an agressive tread design. They have two large grooves in the center that channel water very well in the rain on the highway. The tread wraps around the sidewall for good mud and excellent snow traction. I only had to put it in 4 wheel drive once last year and that was because I got stopped at the bottom of a hill. I have used these tires in northwest PA (Avg. snowfall over 200 inches) and now in the Pittsburgh area (Not as much snow but all hills and curves) and I will not use anything else. I had a set of Cooper's and they were a joke.

Attachments

·
Lifted HEMI 4x4
5,519 Posts
a great all terrian tire for the snow is the bfg at, and bridgeston dueler revo at's

i've ran both and both did an awesome job in the slush

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
dude i dont know what you think long tire wear is but i have a buddy with 80000 on some bfg at's with plenty of tire life left and hes had them for 4 years

·
Registered
121 Posts
Really can't tell you much about tires... mine suck, but they are smaller than stockers -_-...

Though as far as upgrading to a 265 - 275, I wouldn't worry about it. Granted you will see loss of performance, but come on! It gives ya a reason to beef up the little six-banger ;D

Though I digress, I used to run with a guy who had put 30's on his 3 L Ranger, and while a lighter vehicle, it still had plenty of pep. The big ol tires made it look pretty mean too!

So I say choose what size fits you best :tup:

·
Seriously.
1,446 Posts
i'm runnin Nitto terra grapplers as my "snow tires." they work great. they get me to the mountains to go snowboarding in my 2wd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.