DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 dodge d250 that i bought to tow around my 86 chevy 4 wheeling truck. THe truck has a cummins motor in it, and i was wondering if any of you guys drive your 4x2's in the snow? Driving in the snow has me a little worried, so i do not know which truck to register? What can you do to make a 4x2 go pretty good through snow? I was thinking if i installed a limited slip, tire chains and about 750 pounds of sand in the bed i would be OK. Any suggestions, or thoughts on how this truck would go in the snow?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You got it ;) The wieght of the Cummins engine helps in steering to. A couple concrete blocks, chains, and A limited slip and you can go anywhere a 4x4 can go cept for deep mud :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. any one have any other input. I do not want to be getting stuck in the winter, so i was thinking of selling the truck if it will not do good in the snow.

·
HILLBILLY DELUXE
4,907 Posts
Captain about hit it on the head! Go get some tube sand from home depot and throw it in the bed. Can you guys run studded tires up there? If so, i would do that. Other than that, go easy on the gas and watch out for IDIOTS :crazy:!! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Fill the bed with snow and when it warms up it will unload itself. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I drive my 2 wheel drive trucks to places where lots of guys with 4x4's won't go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I was a kid nobody had 4x4s except the Civil Air Patrol for search & rescue. They had old military Jeeps.
We drove all the time in two wheel drive. I lived at Lake Tahoe in the 60s. We just had snow tires if you could afford chains then you had them. We just put weight in the truck of our cars and when. Heck few people even owned trucks in those days. Believe me in the 60s Lake Tahoe would get snow compared to today. I saw it snow 5 ft in one storm many times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, but no diesels. The cummins weighs about 1200 lbs, and that really makes for bad traction in the rear. I really wish this truck was a 4x4, because then i wouldnt even think about selling it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My s-10 is 4x2 and up until this year i drive it in the winter. I loaded the back with 2 70 pound and 2 50 pound sand bags. Thats it! It made it though some snows where i seen 4x4s getting stuck. The only hard part was starting out.. Once you get going though it was just like 4x4

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a 93 D350 C/C Duelly with lugs in the rear. I'm running 4:10 non posi and I have got stuck. Nothing I couldn't get out of by myself. When I put a couple hundred pounds in it, It's ok for the winter with the lugs. It was bad originally with the Goodyear Workhorses (RIB) and no posi. Alot better now with 200 LBS and rear lugs. That's what I've done. Dump some snow in the box.

·
Registered
152 Posts
WE have a D250 2wd, 4sp, 4:10 gears. My wife was coming home the other night and the interstate was like an ice skating rink. With cars & trucks mostly 4x4s off the highway, and sideways on the highway. She said the hardest thing was to get by all the mess. She got home with no problem. She said the ole Dodge just did fine. We only run a set of Bridgestone mud & snow traction tires on the rear.
My point it's all about if you can drive in these conditions. My wife did fine with our 2wd, where many 4x4s didn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.