DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've read through the thread's I could find. I've checked the vacuum lines, they all will hold 20"s of vacuum with out bleeding off, and are clear, the check valves are working. I've changed out the front axle shift motor and the switch on the Tcase. It will shift in but while driving the light goes out and the front end will disengage. If I let off the throttle as soon as the light goes out it will usually come back on, so it sure points to a vacuum issue.
I also doesn't shift into 4 Hi smoothly, some gear grinding. That could be a separate issue! I'm at a loss.
It's a 2001 1500
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
If I let off the throttle as soon as the light goes out it will usually come back on, so it sure points to a vacuum issue.
You are loosing vac probably because of one of the check valves or a vac leak somewhere. How did you test the check valves? Do you have the wild vents also?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice the vent switching to defrost this fall, I've been using a hand pump vac, Mighty-vac I think? To check for leaks and check valves. I think I have it down to the switch on T-case, I changed it once, wouldn't be the first bad part I've gotten, or the rubber plug that the four lines go into on top of the switch. The system holds vacuum if I plug the supply line at that plug/switch and the lines downstream hooked to the shift motor hold. Put the plug back on the switch and no vacuum. Going to try another switch this evening. Or, try to plug the lines directly into the switch and bypass the rubber 4 way plug. I can't find any obvious defects in the 4 way plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. So far found switch bad, supply line to switch leaking at the rubber 4 way plug. New switch, bypassed rubber connector, lines straight to switch. Found small leak in line from switch to hard line going to shift motor, put a temp line to bypass that line. Holding vac nicely now in shop. I'll replace the line tomorrow and road test. frustrating when it's several thing trying to find them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.