Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 1500, 5.2l, 5-spd., 4x4.

Right now the truck is up on 4 jack stands, so I can test the system quickly.

In 4x4 the light on the dash will not come on, but the both axles are turning. I thought it was the switch at the CAD. I pulled the switch out and cycled it by hand and the light on the dash came on. I put the switch back in, cycled the T-Case and no 4WD light.

I took the switch back out and watched the plunger (connected to the shift fork of the CAD) move full stroke as the T-Case was cycled between 4x4 and 4x2. The plunger is moving more than enough to push the plunger on the switch. There is also plenty of pressure behind the plunger. Using a bolt I could not push the plunger back to the 4x2 position.

Mechanically the 4x4 system is working as it should, so why does the switch work outside of the CAD housing? But when it is screwed into the CAD housing it does not work?

Any ideas or comments is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading my post (sorry it is long),
John

·
Right-wing nutjob.
371 Posts
Ever figure this out? I'm curious, as my 4x4 light comes on in 2Hi but not 4 hi. Otherwise all is fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well 2 1/2 months later I found the problem.

When I disassembled the front axle (to replace the U-joint) I took the CAD off the axle tube. When reassembling I must not have put the shift fork onto the collar correctly.

I took it apart and reassembled the CAD and what do you know but the light on the dash works.

By having the shift fork in the wrong position, it would not let the CAD shaft stoke far enough to activate the switch.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.