Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting -

My truck seems to be stuck in 4wd Auto. I have read my manual several times, and use the search function on DT.com, but haven't seen any good answers, so I figured I throw it out to the masses. Details below:

So I had my first chance to use my 4wd today. We have a very light snow dusting here in STL/MO so on the way to the mall I figured; why not throw it in 4wd/Auto.

Everything was going great until, on the way home, I was a light (still in 4wn Auto) and I heard a sizzling noise..yup sizzling. The heater/blower shut off twice for about 1/2 a second. Then the noise went away, thought to myself - wow that was weird. Things returned to normal after that, until I went to put the truck back into 2wd. (As the snow was melting and I was getting back on the HWY.) It wouldn't go back into 2wd. I know this b/c there's a light on the dash which is normally off. I switched it back and forth several times. I Even palyed around with the heater/AC knobs, thinking there was an electrical relay that maybe have shorted out. I also tried putting the truck in 4wd Lock, which didn't work either, the light just blinked a few times then went back to "4wd Auto".

Since the mall trip, I've taken a fwe other short trips, and the truck seems to still be stuck in 4wd. I dont see another lighs on the dash indicating a problem, and the truck seems to drive OK.

Needless to say I'm super frustrated...the first time I actually get to try 4x4 it dosent work...

I'll be off to the dealer Monday, which will probably result in me not having my truck for a day..etc..

I'm just praying it's not some electrical gremlin...that would SUK..

Truck Details:

08 SLT 4x4 QCSB - 4 months old - 3K.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your not the only one with these problems...I have had the same issue with my 08 Laramie... I took it to the dealer and they said it will be the 4th of Feb before they even get the part that they *think* will fix it...something with the shift motor/ TPIM i dont know... it is stupid...I have had my truck since Nov. 23 and have only put 500 miles on it... Check out this link....carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Ram_1500/2008/drivetrain/wont_engage_4_wheel_drive.shtml[/url]

·
RAIDER FAN
2,690 Posts
Good luck and make sure you get a loaner cause it wont be a quick fix.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is this just a 5.7L problem? So far 10k miles on my 08 4.7 and no issues with the 4x4...yet. I keep putting it into 4x4 mode expecting an issue. Maybe I should leave it in 4x4 for 30 minutes or so. Ya'll have me worried.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally made it to the dealer today: First "available appointment"

Dropped the truck off, and decided it was best to "wait"...knowing it was not going to end good. 2 hours later, the service manager comes in...bad news. He said it was throwing all sorts of codes and was on the verge of not running anymore.

Wow - what's the problem: Something about the transfer case, and power sensor. Chrysler has a bulletin out on it (NOT TSB). He had the print out...had to order two parts.

K - Where's my loaner? It's illegal for me to give you a loaner off the lot.
K - Where's my rental? We'll call enterprise - I hope it going to be a 4x4. As we got 6 inches of snow last night...

So yes I get a rental...best part. Ford 150. So I got to spend the day beating up someones else truck in the snow today.

I'm guessing it's going to be at least a few days before I even hear from them again.

I'll keep ya updated.
-dg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 4wd Auto light was always on. I tried switching between 2dw/4wd Auto/Lock/4wdLow and the 4wd Auto light would blink a bunch, then stay lit.

Not sure about the 1500 only. I'll ask for a print out of the bulletin and let you know.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Something like this happen to my little brother and he flushed more than $2500 to get it working again. A week after the dealer said it was all fixed; it stop dead in the middle of the road. He had it towed to the dealer and flushed about $250 bucks on the truck again. He then drove the truck across town and bought his wife a new truck from a different dealer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks for the update. I was actually on my way home yesterday and coming down the pass there was packed snow on the ground. I didnt put the truck in 4x4 for fear of this damn thing happening to me. I finally said screw it, thats why I got a warranty and put it in 4xauto, thankfully no problem for me.

Once you find out can you possibly put up any info that might help the rest of us out. ie, build date and anything else?

thanks, and dont beat that f150 too much!

·
Lovin My Ram
525 Posts
i had the same problem in my ram....blew the shift motor and the tipm thingy... chrysler said they replaced the parts with reengineered ones so this wont happen again...i doubt i will ever try it again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
whats the advantage of 4x4 auto over 4x4 lock, aren't there a few switches offered, on 06 there was 2wd/4Lock/4Lo and 2WD/4 Auto/4Lock/4Lo. 4Lock being the = of 4Hi. I don't think 4Auto is the same as AWD, there was and maybe still is a AWD ram xfer case as well

·
Registered
630 Posts
whats the advantage of 4x4 auto over 4x4 lock, aren't there a few switches offered, on 06 there was 2wd/4Lock/4Lo and 2WD/4 Auto/4Lock/4Lo. 4Lock being the = of 4Hi. I don't think 4Auto is the same as AWD, there was and maybe still is a AWD ram xfer case as well
The way I understand it, the 4xauto is very near AWD.

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Agreed. It's basically like a pavement friendly version of 4x4. Which is like AWD.
I believe I read it was Dodge's version of the AWD system that's in the Jeep CG. The Jeep system has no 2WD mode but the Dodge system does but that's the only difference.

:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
the AWD xfer cases, do not have a 2wd option do they? Do the 4 autos?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Yes the 4 auto cases have 2wd, no AWD does not. AWD has no other setting. Full time 4x4 is always in 4x4, but also has a low range. The dodge transfer case has 2wd, 4 auto, 4 lock, and low. So in theory, the 4 auto setting is like full time 4x4 in that you can use it on the street, still has low range, but they also added the 2wd mode, prob for decreased wear and increased fuel economy. :teacher:

·
Registered
46 Posts
whoops hit the wrong botton. ive got an 04 1500 4x4 and had a similar problem with the electrical end of it i heard and smelled the wire burning. it was the blower motor wire .went to the stealership and bought a wire repair kit that is under the steering column. the main feed comes in then then is distribuated out. that maybe the problem cost me 42.00

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.