DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to convert my '98 Ram 4x4 to a diesel and am wondering if any of ya'll have looked into it or have done it. I'm Looking for advice and also if ya'll know about what it would cost that would be good to know.

'98 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
5.9L Automatic
The truck is completely stock

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ive never seen it swaped in a dodge, but alot of jeeps do the cummins 4bt. I think there found in frito lay trucks, do they have mechanical or electronic injections pumps?

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
There is a guy on here with a Dakota that he swapped a 4BT into.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
very cool

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
A guy on Pavementsucks put a Cummins in his 1500.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,704 Posts
i believe that the 5.9 cummins has the same engine mounts as the v8 and v10. that may be easier to do. they are the same frame 1500 and 2500 with different spring hardware.

·
2,032 Posts
Your 1500 would need to be seriously beefed up to carry the weight of a 5.9 Cummins. The frame is NOT same on a 1500 and 2500 BTW. As far as I know the 2500 has a thicker and taller frame rail. They have different parts numbers and all.

If you want a 5.9 Cummins you would be much better served to just buy the entire damn truck rather than spend 10K plus on an engine swap.

Putting a 4BT into a 1500 is the much more practical route IMHO.

·
2,032 Posts
Also, the Dana 44 front axle is just not made to have that kind of weight on it, so you need to swap in a Dana 60 and then you would have 8 lug fronts and 5 lug rears, so then for them to match you need to swap a Dana 60/70/80 into the rear which requires different springs and shackles and shafts....the list goes on and on.

Just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I would go the 4bt route, you could find everything you need in the junk yard. If you go witht the 5.9 do a 12valve, it doesnt come with as many electrical head aches

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah after I called around I think I decided to just stick to my 5.9 gas and buy a whole new 2500 and keep the gas to go play in.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Good call

·
2,032 Posts
GREAT call!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.