DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good source for well-built, remanufactured 47RE transmissions? One of my fleet vehicles has a cracked hosuing and cant be rebuilt. The dealer wants $5700.00 to replace it with a supposed Chrysler rebuild ($4700.00 for the trans and $1000.00 for labor). That seems VERY high to me. I checked out ATS' website, but they are still pricey. The motor is a stock S.O. CTD from 2002- 2003. Does anyone know anything about the Viper series of transmissions from Performance Auto and Trans Center or the Hill Killer?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Moved to diesel area where you will get more answers

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Where are you located? I can tell you that I had a $5000 trans in my 03 and it was built to handle anything I could throw at it. $5700 for a stock rebuild is a lot of scratch. On the other hand, you will end up paying extra for an aftermarket unit if your casing is broken since it's going to have to be replaced. Probably about $400.00 but a good trans is only normally around $3500.00...

DTT
Suncoast
Goerand Brothers
Dunrite
ATS
HTS

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
ATS's website shows a 47RE transmission with the 5 star viskus lockup converter and the ATS commander for 4371, and thats got the core charge tapped on it.

im going with ATS simply because i am 40 miles from their main headquarters in denver

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am in Phoenix, AZ, but the truck is in Elko, NV. There are not a whole lot of reputable shops up there. However, Elko is about 230 miles from Salt Lake City, UT and about 330 miles from Reno, NV. The truck has about 150K on it now. Spending 6K on a transmission is not feasible since I am planning to pull it from service next year anyway. With our payload and terrain (mining), we wear out the truck long before the engine. The company that makes the Hillkiller (http://www.hillkiller.com/46re.html) is here in Phoenix. I checked B&M's website but it looks like they mostly still make performance trans for cars and such, and Art Carr's website doesnt show anything for the 47RE. The other place I found is http://www.transmissionsone.com/. I do not trust Gibraltar, Cottman, etc. shops. The Ford remans we get for our Ford fleet trucks (we are switching to Dodges as the Fords die) are like $3200.00 installed from the dealer. Why is Chrysler charging $5800? Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
All the names I put in my post are good trans companies. Contact them and they can point you towards an installer close to you. I had a DTT and it held up to 500hp without issue. Even doing Boosted launches on occasion. The standard DTT trans is right at $3500.00 last time I looked. Install is usually around $800 or so...

·
Banned
505 Posts
Did you say $1000.00 for labor???? Jesus Chri**, I've worked on those trucks, that whole replacement can be done in 3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on how hard you want to work. And that's on a 4x4 when you're on a lift with all the correct tools.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes... $1000.00 bucks for labor. That is at Dale White Motors in Elko, NV... the local Dodge dealer. Earnhardt Dodge here in Phoenix wants $4700.00 for the same deal. It looks like DTT wants $3700.00 for their's.. a little easier to take considering it would be a serious improvement in rebuild quality. We routinely pay about $3200.00 for a Ford auto rebuild, installed, from the dealer. Why is DC charging so much? I talked to a guy in Reno.. SR7... I think an old Art Carr guy... who wants $4500.00 for his w/ a billet converter... similar to ATS'. Any other thoughts? I need a good source for transmissions both Ford and Dodge since all but one of our fleet trucks have autos. We are making the slow change-over to Dodge... just bought a 2006 Mega Cab with the 48RE... nice truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a quote from APS on a New Tranny sound like quite a few people are having tranny issues. I'm as well, anyway here's what Wayne had to say;
http://www.apsprecision.com/Transmission.html

Dear Jack thank you for your interest in a 100% Brand New APS Performance Transmission I have put together 2 Super Duty Quotes... Remember we can add to or delete from ANY QUOTE to make your IDEAL TRANSMISSION

A 100% Brand New Stock Crate 48RE base price for your Truck would be
$2480 2000 model Year on up and you would need a the $141 additional premium for 4WD!

Because these are 100% BRAND NEW ULTRA HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSIONS… NO EXCHANGE IS NECESSARY... On limited basis we will make an agreement to purchase an old unit depending on your proximity to California and the desirability of the unit… Also of note this is “Speed Lane” shipping and not The Slow "Differed" so you get your product more quickly usually 4 days in shipping… Also shipping is calculated to a business address or to truck yard pickup… If it must go to a residence there is a $40.95 residential delivery fee added by a trucking company, I have no control over that so that’s your choice!

Advantages over a regular rebuilt. You get $450++ (Retail) worth of brand new sensors. Its all 100% brand new and not someone else's old problem transmission reconstituted into your “new” transmission also factor in that you can sell your old transmission for $200 if it’s a core or more if it’s a runner!!!

Ultra Heavy Duty 575HP / 650Lb Feet of Torque, Extreme Heavy Duty 850HP / 1000Lb Feet of Torque

Each transmission starts life as a 100% BRAND NEW MOPAR CRATE unit that is then disassembled and then constructed the APS way. Any of these Performance / Competition style fully Blueprinted Transmissions are completely suitable for daily grocery getter scenario but also just as happy should when 1/4Mi or Drag Racing action is on the menu. Any of these performance units comes with a 2 Year warranty that includes racing, which should prove testament to you about our unwavering quality & confidence level. We use 200K as the design parameter for the duty cycle before needing an overhaul and trust that we factor in highly spirited driving and towing into that mileage figure. (1 Year Warrantee on Stock Plus Units)

In this quote as shown you would get 1. A Brand New Mopar Crate Transmission (Mopar charges about $4200++ for them so our price at $2480 for starters is very very reasonable) 2. All our APS custom and exclusive racing and durability enhancements (We are manufacturers as you know so we can offer things no one else can - per individual quotation) 3. A transmission that will last the test of time and miles with a warrantee that suggests we mean it and in over 23 Years of transmission building never taking back ONE faulty assembly!

So how do we do it? Look at just some of the parts - Red Eagle racing Clutches with Kolene steels, Red Eagles (INCLUDED IN SOME QUOTES) first they are designed to dissipate oil without the necessity of an oil groove, unlike the competition. The problem with the grooves is that they remove surface area. Because Red Eagle are of a no groove design by default, they have significant amounts of additional surface area for increased holding capability, increased area for heat dissipation, and increased surface area for shorter lock up time - less Slipping hence less heat! LONGER LIFE (Optional on all Transmissions)

Kolene Steels - Kolene is a salt bath nitriding process... (Think about a super high end crankshaft it's always Nitrided!)... Kolene provides a surface treatment that enhances wear and resistance to fatigue from 200%-500%... Kolene steels also offer significantly higher heat without warping or glazing and even more importantly offer greatly increased lubricity (Optional on all Transmissions)

Now we also add the bigger direct drum that holds an additional clutch this immediately means extra gripping power and torque capacity along with the fact that we include special seals to stop the slipping 3rd gear syndrome we see all to frequently in these boxes (Included with all Quotes)

Blueprinting Services - We blueprint all clearances just like a motor there are ranges of acceptability same goes with the transmission, as one might expect there are more desired numbers within this range that can maximize the performance and longevity APS has or makes parts to adjust, correct or modify assemblies to give you the perfect clearance! (Included with all Quotes)

Aluminum Accumulator and blocker rod gives a super swift 1-2, 2-3 and 3-2 shifts perfect for towing or other high performance uses… Including On Road & Racing. It gives you the sure footed shift with increased holding capacity you need in a heavy vehicle and also for increased towing ability as well. (Included with all Quotes)

Extra Clutches - we add extra clutches wherever possible to give your transmission additional holding power such as the Overdrive Brake Clutches going from 4 to 5 in most applications again more clutches is a plus in performance, longevity and gripping ability. (Included with all Quotes)

Super High Capacity OD unit 23 single sided clutches VS. ONLY 8 dual sided disks in a whimpy 47RE that’s capacity you will feel loaded or empty! (Included with all Quotes)

Mopar Deep Sump Aluminum Oil Pan (Extra Cost) More fluid means more cooling capacity and greater fluid life. Some vehicles with headers MAY interfere with the bigger pan contact us for additional information if using headers. (Available on all transmissions at $179)

6 pinion Planetary gear sets. More pinions mean more torque capacity and longer service life in extreme Off-road, Towing or Racing Situations… We mean business when you opt for our rock crusher planetaries… Built for the most power capacity you can throw at us… Your Engine block will let go long before our planetaries! (Included with all Quotes)

Sintered Cast Band - APS's one piece Sintered Cast Band is the answer to the sleazy stock or replacement flex bands. Last time we saw that kind of band in a Mopar unit was on the HEMI Automatic in something like a 1969 Hemi Roadrunner or similar equipped vehicle with a 426 Street Hemi with Dual Quads or 440CID with 6 bbl Carburetion. Chrysler stopped making the bands WHY? because they cost too much for a more mild application like a 360/408 Magnum in your truck, HOWEVER in all the time we have sold them we have NEVER lost a single band. What does that mean to you? Total reliability for the toughest towing or racing duty cycles. Again its all about durability as well as performance, since durability is a primary measurement of performance in my book. We then add our own High Ratio Band Apply Lever to add over 70% more mechanical gripping power by itself add to it our Sintered Cast Band, Valve body modifications, reinforced band apply strut and High Ratio lever and you get over 170% more gripping power then a stock lever and flex band. That means the muscle to take on the highest torque loadings without a care in the world. (Included with all Quotes)

APS Valve Body with shift kit - You get our best 100% BRAND NEW valve body with ALL NEW ELECTRONICS ($450++ Retail Value) specially prepared and tailored for YOUR application. We can TUNE the transmission to deliver the type of performance that fits your needs, like a good engine you want everything in balance and that is what a custom transmission builder offers over a one size fits all enterprise. We have taken and limited overlap to minimum levels but keep the transmission from shifting overly abrupt again its all about balanced performance (Included with all Quotes)

One other consideration is that in the quotes we do not require trade ins or core returns (other then the 1998 Jeep 5.9L) MEANING more of your money is applied to transmission/parts and less to shipping. Also your original transmission has residual value and can be sold or retained for future use. Cores are worth about $200 perfectly working transmissions might net up to $600. So while going NEW is "seemingly Higher Cost" then rebuilt when you factor in the shipping both ways, no resale ability of old unit and the fact that No Rebuilt is better then starting 100% NEW. So ask yourself is the New transmission really more expensive???

If this looks good, I will even build this one for you personally and give it a few my own special tweaks that I reveal to no one... You will want to add the ATF+4 by Mopar and use NO ADDITIVES unless I supply them...

Transmission Pan will be fitted with a drain plug to assist in easy maintenance of your new transmission... Aluminum pans come standard with drain plugs as well if it’s on the unit you choose… I hope you can recognize the extra value that we offer and our unwavering determination to create a transmission that not only meets your needs but will surpass your wildest expectations, on the street, in the dirt, or on the track.

These units represent the finest transmissions available that fit your vehicle 100% correctly... Thank you again for allowing me to explain what we do... Take Care... Wayne Garrahan MGR of APS (Automotive Division)

Our High Performance Transmissions are also warranted on racing applications for a period of 2 years (Stock Plus 1-Year). Proper maintenance, installation, maintaining proper fluid levels, and no neutral drops are all expected and required as you would expect. Again ask around and find out any one else that offers that warrantee on a racing transmission. It speaks volumes about our confidence in our product. Again in 23 years we have never taken back a single assembly. That's a good record in anyone's book. Thanks Again Wayne

AGAIN: Let me know your thoughts whether Stock, or any of these performance builds or something more or less insane fits your needs and wallet. I can quite easily change the 'build' of the transmission to modify the pricing if needed. No matter what in a custom transmission, I will personally do the build with the same care I would do my own. It will be fully tested before shipment to insure a Plug & Play type installation. Wayne

Figure about 6 Days turnaround and 4~5 days shipping!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 1 Mad Italian. I called Wayne but he was not available. Left a message with the info and am awaiting a call back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.