DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 46rh that has a bad low/reverse accumulator piston and smoked reverse friction band. I also have a perfectly good 46re that came with another truck I ended up junking. The valve body's on both units are almost identical except for a few electronics which could be removed or bypassed. I could theoretically take the center section out of the electric VB and replace it with it's hydraulic counterpart. Also replace the 8 pin selenoid wíth its 3 pin counterpart and there you have it. Now I realize that I most likely won't have overdrive but I don't use it anyway. Someone please tell me why this solution won't work before I waste a morning for nothing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
"Looks the same" <> "Is the same".

You can try it, but I bet you end up with two junk transmissions.

Rebuilding a 46RH isn't all that hard, it appears; look at the TransmissionBench.COM videos on the 46RE.

The actual parts are different numbers; but he methodogy is the same.

(That "the actual parts are different numbers" makes me think it won't work. But heh, try it; worst that happens is you end up with two piles of crap instead of a good 46RE and a rebuilt 46RH ... )

RwP

Edit: Fixed company name.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah think your right. But what about taking the friction band and servo out of the re and swapping it to the rh? That should work, right? The only difference between the 2 that I can tell is in the o.d. section... Maybe I'm wrong though, any thoughts would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It might; but can't you just order those bran'new and avoid any wear and tear on the old RE parts?

I find this:

NOTE: I do NOT make any guarantee to the quality or lack thereof of that kit; just pointing out that for less than $55 you may be able to keep from killing a 46RE.

Sell that 46RE for $150 or so, and you can even afford genuine Mopar ATF+4 on Amazon ... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748Z82TS/

I'd add a tailshaft bushing and seal to it, if it doesn't have that yet.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts