DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be for a shadetree mechanic with decent mechanical aptitude to rebuild a 46RE tranny? Is it as complicated as a regear? What rebuild kit is recommended?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Not really, you might want some snap ring pliers.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
WIT Transmission parts 1-800-940-0197 ... oh and welcome to Dodge Talk!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased and installed a rebuilt 46re from an individual on ebay. I installed the TFOD JR kit before installing. I made some additional mods and ad libs to the valve body as suggested by tactransman for firmer shifts. The transmission shifts much smoother than expected or desired. The bigger issue is that OD doesn't work and passing gear is reluctant to engage. I would appreciate some input on potential causes to troubleshoot. Should I swap the 3-4 solenoid first? I can pull the one from my former tranny as it was still functioning correctly.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Welcome to Dodge Talk! It sounds like the first thing you need to do is tighten the TV cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks tactransman. The TV cable adjustment fixed the passing gear problem and the shifts are a little firmer, but the OD is still out. Maybe I should add that my Dakota is an '01 and the replacement transmission is from a previous generation. I had to drill and tap the housing to accommodate my safety/gear position switch. I also swapped the lever/cam to compliment the switch. I will have to adjust the shim on the switch as my dash gauge indicates a gear lower than actual. From what I've read, I see no indication that the gear position signal relates to the OD function. Your thoughts...

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
So your shifter in NOT showing "D" when it is in "D" ? If so,I would say that there is a good chance that is your OD problem. The computer is waiting for you to put it in the "D" position to complete the OD shift. .

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's correct. When the transmission is in drive, the gauge shows "2". I didn't find where the manual explicitly states that the signal is used by the computer to control the OD, but I had a feeling that it does. I just haven't had the time to adjust the shim on the switch.(too many other projects) That will be my next step.
Thank You Sir

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.