Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all -

I am having trouble with the tranny in my 03 5.9 QC 4x4 w/130k. I am figuring that the 46re is gonna need to be rebuilt or replaced. I found a local rebuilt 46re for a good price but was told it was originally out of a 1998 RAM 1500? Currently it is mated with a 231h transfer case.

Will the 46re out of a 1998 RAM fit the 5.9 Dakota? Would there be fitment issues such as the speed senor...? I have looked at both but mine is still in the truck so I cannot really eyeball them that well.

**edit: just to add I did search and saw alot of posts saying that a 46re is a 46re and basically it "would fit" I am just curious as the 1500 donor would be from a little older model.

Thanks any help is appreciated!

-ph8

p.s. I am not concerned too much about the 231 and would probably install it in my jeep with the 5.2 if I got them.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I would imagine they would be the exact same. Expecially since the engine is the exact same. But with the transfer case is it possible the overdrive unit in the ram is shorter?

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Take a good look at the wire connection to be sure it's the same and also check the shift linkage as this changed to a cable at some point.
There is a change in the governer solenoid sometime around 2000 as well as a change to a push-in neutral start switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Monkeyman and B-300 for the replies. This is exactly the info I was curious about. I know there were some changes to the RAM right around that time but wasn't sure what exactly.

Looks like I am going to have to do some research. I was looking through several online parts catalogs and there is a definite switch in the governor solenoid in 2000. There is a difference in the harness itself and where it mates up to the tranny. .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.