DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about lost all patience with these trannies.:VHOT: Looks like I'll be putting numero tres in my RAM soon. That is absurd!

I bought this truck new in May of 2001. At 15,000 miles the trans failed (burned valve body). DC replaced it and I got 65,000 miles on the second one. I told someone recently how much I was liking this truck. Spoke to soon I guess, because today I got a DTC (P1740) which means something is wrong with the tranny. By the time I got it to the dealer it was smelling bad.

Here's the rub. After the first transmission failed at 15,000 miles I installed a HD trans cooler for insurance. Since then I've serviced the tranny at 40,000 miles and 60,000....insurtance again. I've never even considered servicing a transmission that often in any other truck I've owned (Chevy, Ford, etc). So I've babied the damned thing and it STILL FAILED!!! What is up with these substandard Dodge transmissions?:dunno:

AND NO... I've never even towed anything with it. The only weight in the truck is my propane tanks and a small platic tool box. Sum total additional weight with tanks full is less than 500 lbs.

At first I thought I simply got a lemon tranny from the factory. But now I'm thinking ALL 46RE are weak. After this deal I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another Dodge. Too risky.

Thoughts?

RR

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
sorry to hear about that ramrocker. when i bought my 97', i had heard about the dodge trannies being junk and even had a couple friends who had troubles with them. i went ahead and bought it anyway. well, 110k miles later, i haven't had any problems, and i 4wheel hard and do minor towing. oops, i better not open my mouth........

·
Registered
199 Posts
My '96 trans started going at around 20,000, under warranty. When I drove it away from the dealer the only thing left from original was the case - all new internals, new converter, new cooler. I sold it to a friend at 96,000, no problems.

A good friend has a '96 Chevy. Trans failed at 70,000 - left him on the side of the road. He had to pay for his failure, my repairs were covered by warranty!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I see you are runnin propane injection. How much hp and tq is this addin? Is it on all the time or only if you are racing? That could be ur problem, puttin to much power to the stock parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand one tranny being a lemon. But two in a row? That is ridiculous. I babied that damned transmission knowing they had a high failure rate.

RAMGUY:

I do not race. I have on occassion checked my 0-60 times simply out of curiosity. But I've never raced this truck competitively or otherwise, nor ever will I.

The propane system on this truck has no effect on Hp and torque. The system is totally integrated with the stock PCM. Propane for all practical intent and purpose burns just like 93 octane gasoline. This propane is designed to meet strict EPA emissions standards. It was installed on the truck when it only had 1500 miles and we thoroughly investigated DC's position on this propane system before installing it. They had no problem with it. This propane system meets or exceeds all of DC requirements for warranty regarding the entire powertrain.

Of course at 78,000 miles the truck is out of warranty. My only point is this tranny shoulod have NEVER FAILED.....PERIOD....in that time frame considering how the truck has been babied and maintained. Sad thing is it hasn't failed once but twice! That, my friend, is bullshit....and it is wrong.

We currently have two of these trucks in our business. They are identical. The other truck is driven by a fellow that works for my company. His tranny failed too...at 24,000 miles. His truck now has almost 50,000 miles and I'm expecting it will fail again.

The fact that some people have good experiences with the 46RE is the exception rather than the rule, I'm finding out the hard way.

Thanks for your interest.

Cody

·
Registered
551 Posts
On our 01 we have put in 2 torque converters in the first 27k miles the 3rd is goin in this weekend. Sure we have hauled 3/4 and 1 ton pickups about 5-6 times but still. Are you 100% sure that its ur whole tranny and not just the TC? Don't get me wrong, I am not callin you a liar or trying to be an ass, I am just trying to help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong, I am not callin you a liar or trying to be an ass, I am just trying to help.

Not taken that way...and thanks for helping.

You are exactly right. It's not the entire transmission. The entire transmission was replaced at 15,000 miles under warranty. The valve body burned at that time.

Today it's the torque converter. But that still is a $700+ fix. I've never had a "torque converter" fail on any truck in 25 years of driving 1/2 ton trucks in this business.

What in the heck could be the problem. I've literally treated this truck with kid gloves. You read my post....aux tranny coolers, trans service every 20,000 miles.

Could the fact that the truck is geared kinda high be hurting it (3.55) ?

RR

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate problems, but you are the exception, not the rule.
These transmissions are very reliable, the only parts we ever change with any frequency is the governor pressure sensor and transducer.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have about the same setup, I have the 5.2L auto and 3.55 gears and 4x4. Idk what the problem is, but I am not to concerned, the lease is up this fall, so we will be gettin a new 2004 HEMI:D:D:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Six pack:

I challenge you to do two things.

1- First read RAM GUY's post. Is he the exception too?

2- Secondly go to usenet or google and do a search. Use these three words: 46RE transmission failure. You will get so many hits it will likely lock up your web browser and crash your computer.:rolleyes:

The fact that the 46RE is problematic is WELL documented.

RR

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RamGuy said:
We have about the same setup, I have the 5.2L auto and 3.55 gears and 4x4. Idk what the problem is, but I am not to concerned, the lease is up this fall, so we will be gettin a new 2004 HEMI:D:D:D
Why would you do that if the truck is likely to give you problems? Or have they fixed their junky transmissions on the new trucks?

RR

·
Registered
551 Posts
RamGuy's reasons for staying with Dodge:
#1 This isn't our pickup, its really the companys (my dad is the parts manager at a dodge dealership) so we get a new one ever 2 years.
#2 Dodge is awesome!!!

#3 The 46RE is no long offered, they have a 5-speed auto for the 4.7 and all new 5.7 HEMI

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
CHROME
954 Posts
I'm on the side that they are junk. I checked Car Fax.com and found I was third owner at 49K. Got a recall on my D and had the dealer check the history, only two records found, tranny rebuild at 30k and two weeks later the whole thing was replaced. At 69K I wonder if a good one is in or is it going to break next week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spirit-Dodge,

I tend to agree. It makes me sad too because I'm a huge Dodge fan. I love everything about this truck.......except this darned transmission! The sticker pricew on this sucker was $30K. the tranny should last longer than 60,000 miles.

I was seriously considering buying a new Hemi for my business, but now that probably out of the question. I simply can not afford to be replcing TCs every 50,000 miles. I've never done that on any of the Fords or Chevys we've had in the past (and we've had a bunch of them for a little company....15-20 in the past 10 years).

Thanks anyhoo

RR

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well, RamRocker, the tranny on the Hemi is a very SOLID tranny. I would reccomend it with NO reservations. Its all your opinion though.

Josh

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
RamRocker said:
Six pack:

I challenge you to do two things.

1- First read RAM GUY's post. Is he the exception too?

2- Secondly go to usenet or google and do a search. Use these three words: 46RE transmission failure. You will get so many hits it will likely lock up your web browser and crash your computer.:rolleyes:

The fact that the 46RE is problematic is WELL documented.

RR
I do not need to search anything.
We sell over 350 trucks a year from my Dealership so I think I have a pretty good feel for what is or isn't a problem.

You are in a bad frame of mind right now but you need to remember, no one is going to be posting their "I love my trans" stories on the internet. Also you cannot verify the legitimacy of these other failures, were they in fact abuse? Of course not, right?

Let us know what the problem is when they have it diagnosed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Josh

Are you saying that with any experience? Does your hemi have many miles on it? If you say "Yeah it has 50,000 miles" then I might be impressed. Hell....if you said yeah it has 20,000 miles with no failure I'd be impressed.

six pack Please read this carefully and try to be objective. Take your "dealer shoes off" and put on your thinking cap. I know you LOVE Dodge (I do too - 1986 D150 is my backup truck). So I am NOT simply a "Dodge hater".

You are exactly right. I AM in a bad frame of mind. Wouldn't you be? And FYI they have diagnosed the truck. The TC is toast. Go figure considering the way the truck is driven.

What YOU don't realize is I bought two of these truck at the same time for my business. Identical make-model- options and even color. Since you are a dealer I will post the VIN of both trucks. Maybe that will help you verify my story since BOTH (that's two) vehicles transmissions failed within the 36K warranty time and BOTH were repaired by a certified Dodge dealer(unbelieveable).

TRUCK #1
VIN 3B7HF13Y71M5559486
Driver: Me - 43 year old owner of the company
Duty: Light. Never used to tow. 30% dirt and lease roads at speeds less than 45 mph. The rest street and highway. Payload approx 400-500 lbs in the bed at all times. Please don't tell me what one service guy at my dealership said, "....boy that's quite a bit of weight to be haulin' around...." If 500 lbs is too much for a half ton truck....I think you get my point.

The transmission on this truck (truck #1) failed at 15,000 miles. My frame of mind was BAD. But I wrote it off as simply one bad transmission and figured the 46RE was still an OK tranny. DC replaced it. I put 30-40K on the truck and my frame of mind got much better. Even so I was considering buying a new Dodge hemi in the near future.

I had just recently bragged to a colleague how much I liked the truck. Those words barely escaped my mouth and the check engine light came on. Then the foul stench of burning transmission fluid filled the cab. Failure number 2 for this truck. Transmission number THREE! When I say transmission I include the torque converter. Without a TC an auto trans ain't much of a trans....right? Besides that TC was replced at 15,000 when she broke the first time. So that TC only has about 64,000 normal miles on it.

TRUCK #2
VIN 1B7HF13Y11J595607
Driver: Male employee- 63 year old. Drives extreeemly conservative. More so than I. And I am the owner. I have to buy these things. So I take care of my stuff. This guy is even more considerate of our equipment.

Duty: Light. Never used to tow. 30% dirt and lease roads at speeds less than 45 mph. The rest street and high way. Payload approx 400-500 lbs in the bed at all times same duty as mine.

46RE transmission in this truck failed at 24,000 miles. My frame of mind was BAD (doh!) DC replaced the tranny. The truck only has about 50,000 miles today. But the way things are going I fully expect "something" with truck #2 transmission will fail within the next 20,000 to 30,000 miles if not sooner. It makes me :YUK: wanna puke transmission fluid. ;)

Hopefully now you can understand my frustration and paranoia with these trucks. If you can not sympathize with my plight, then please post the name and location of your dealership so that I can be sure to never buy a vehicle from your dealership. I can understand getting one lemon tranny. But two?...in a row? Then three!! The odds are incalculable. That is why I submit to you there is a flaw in these transmission.

Seriously,

RR

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
six pack said:
Also you cannot verify the legitimacy of these other failures, were they in fact abuse? Of course not, right?
True that. But I can verify the legitimacy of MY trucks (two trucks) failures. And right now that is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. Don't you find it odd (according to the account above) that two trucks would fail in like fashion within the first 24,000 miles? Each truck having different drivers.

RR

·
Registered
424 Posts
RamRocker,

Here's my experience:

Ram#1 - 38,000 miles. Mostly highway. Towed my boat all over. Fiberglass topper and toolbox in the truck all the time. I don't exactly baby it (my trucks spend time in four wheel drive on two tracks getting back to fishing spots), but I do take care of the scheduled maintenance. No problems.

Ram#2 - 34,000 miles. Same description.

Ram#3 - Currently just over 20,000 miles. Same as above. I realize I haven't kept any of these trucks as long as you, but you've had problems within these mileage ranges. I drive mine a lot harder too.

Don't know what to tell ya'.

Rusty

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.