DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty sure the motor in the truck i want to buy is a 440 but im not certaint. is there anyway to tell if it is truely a 440 and if it is would it be worth rebuilding? thanks for your input

·
Registered
329 Posts
If the distributor is in the front of the engine and leaning toward the passenger side, that proves it's a big block. If not, it's a smallblock. If it's a big block, get underneath the truck and get the long number off the block. It'll probably have a dash and a single digit at the end of it. While you're at it, you might also want to get the casting date off the block. I THINK it's on the passenger side, near the long number. In any case, post the long (casting) number here and someone will tell you what it is.

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
In addition, there is a flat number pad on the front top of the block, behind the water neck, that usually has the engine size stamped onto it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's true, it's just that it's almost impossible to see if there's an a/c compressor on the engine. The lowdecks are easier because the pad is in a different location. Or maybe I have which is easier backwards, I can't remember for sure. I'll have to go check one of my blocks to see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.