DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 ram 1500 5.9l auto with a dana 44 front. Well my 4wd isnt working and I think it is the seal inside on the right axle shaft. I have replaced basically everything in my front so far, so I know it isnt anything other than what is in the axle itself. The two shafts do not line up at the same height so the VAC can not move the coupler over them both.

I am going to look at a 1995 2500 with a 5.9l auto (same tranny), but it has the dana 60 in the front. So I have several questions about this. I have gotten a few kind of scrambled answers from other sources, but would like to have as much answered as possbile and in the simplest terms ....

I want to swap the front, which I know I can do .... I just have to watch the driveshaft u-joint sizes. I was told that the front coil springs will also swap from the 2500 into my 1500 ... since the parts truck has a brush bar and plow set up that I plan to use, I think this would be a good idea.

Next comes the rear. I know I will also have to do something here since the gearing will be different. I want to swap the one right from the parts truck so that they are both geared the same, and both have the same 8 lug patterns. I need to know if it will bolt in with out having to change the rear leaf springs (since that will mean alot more work cutting out the smaller ones and welding in the bigger ones). And also watching the driveshaft u-joints on this as well.

Also, they both have the same tranny .... but someone said they wouldnt work due to one being electric and the other is hydraulic .... what ever that means ....

Is there any other problems I may run into along the way?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.