DodgeTalk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
wow I really fell off the map. back at it now. hope you are doing better.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's still a bit of a question mark.....Rings were solid, valves were good, head gaskets were good... looks like all the oil is in the intake on the PCV side....

Anyone have issues with the PCV on the mopar performance valve covers? Different baffle design than factory, that's my only guess currently. But on the plus side nothing internal is broke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chasing that myself actually.. Going to come up with a way of extending the location of the pcv higher and further away from the valve cover here soon.. Hopefully it'll work as intended AND not look stupid.. lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Well I spent the money on the mopar pcv and the grommets specifically for the performance valve covers. Gonna keep an eye on it and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't i'll likely throw a catch can on it.

But on the plus side she's running well.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
because of my added ratio rockers the baffles in the oe valve covers had to come out. I never had weeping grommets this bad b4. the catch can helps keep the intake clean but does nothing for the sloppy v covers.
thinking bout going to high fabricated LA valve covers. under those will be room for added baffles. haven't decided yet though less nail down bolts may cause other weeping issues.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSP-Dodge-Plymouth-273-318-340-360-SB-Fabricated-Aluminum-Valve-Cover-Anodized/331835211930?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Those are nice, i've got the magnum performance covers that are a bit taller, but have basically no baffles other than directly in front of the holes for plugs/pcv/breather.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, she was fine, bad PCV was the main cause of the oil consumption. Back in and runs pretty good. Still a little on the fat side and have some stalling issues that i'm trying to work out, but other than that she seems pretty happy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Alright, here's a question how fast do you think this build will safely turn? Haven't pushed it past 5500, but Hughes says the cam will make power all the way to 6500. Just not sure it's safe to turn it that tight.

Thoughts, opinions, experience from other 408 builds, anything would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
what valve spring pressure do you run.
my dyno runs top out at 5000. just don't produce much beyond that. we had to spin it up to 5500 and find out. stiffer springs will keep the valves from floating but!
its still a hydraulic lifter/ push rod motor. don't expect it to produce real high.
change out the cam/ swap to mechanical lifters or solids and that changes the story just a bit!

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
high pressure dual springs. you may produce good curves up to 6k on the dyno.. cant wait for the test run.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
because of my added ratio rockers the baffles in the oe valve covers had to come out. I never had weeping grommets this bad b4. the catch can helps keep the intake clean but does nothing for the sloppy v covers.
thinking bout going to high fabricated LA valve covers. under those will be room for added baffles. haven't decided yet though less nail down bolts may cause other weeping issues.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSP-Dodge-Plymouth-273-318-340-360-SB-Fabricated-Aluminum-Valve-Cover-Anodized/331835211930?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
For my rockers to clear IMM cut the baffles in half.. down the center... on stock OEM magnum valve covers, bent them inward, and then welded the baffles where the cut was made. Still baffles the oil but not in way of the rockers.

I run a catch can system.... PCV on left hand valve cover to catch can then to intake. Have a Summit breather on the right hand valve cover.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts