DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the stock 360 is starting to go using lots of oil, and its the rings so heres the plan. First of its a 2001 4x4. All the work is going to be done myself except for the machine work, reputable engine shop will take care of that. Now what I've been leaning towards is picking up a used 360 long block, and tearing it down and puting in the Hughes 408 stroker kit. Now where my questions is, the cam,heads,injectors, that kinda stuff. This truck is a daily driver. So what would you guys recommend for a cam, I wouldnt mind a little bit of a lope to it. Also will stock heads be ok? I saw hughes has magnum iron heads with both 1.92 or 2.02 valves. Also what about injectors, will stock work or will I need new ones? Obviously I'll go with a SCT tuner so i can get a good tune on it. Im not looking for anything crazy want something thats good and reliable that also makes some good power. Not planning on racing the truck, daily driver with some towing and off road trips. I already tried talking to Hughes but was unable to get much out of them through email, was told a 408 should make somewhere around 450hp, this sounds fairly high what do you guys think? Also I would like to keep the stock kegger intake to keep the low end torque. Now what about the tranny, will a shift kit and different converter be fine, or am I looking at a rebuild tranny with tougher internals. All help is greatly appreciated guys.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good luck with your build, if you go through with it. Im thinking about doing pretty much the same thing. Dont really have any answers for you since I have not gone through any of it. Im sure others will chime in very soon.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
first off ditch the stock heads they are prone to cracking as for the rest if this is a daily driver you may not want to go to extreams my suggestion get the spare block tear it down and check the cyl for wear then get it bored out the minimum you can dont go over 0.030 as the cyl walls are thin on these motors get new pistons 10-1 comp recondition the rest of the bottom end put on a set of eq magnum heads 192/160 with a mild port/polish job mild cam mod your intake and tb get a sct tunner and you will have a strong streetable motor if you go with a hot 408 you will run into issues with rainy/snowy days of course thats just my opinion also this will help keep the cost down

also welcome to dt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. What do you mean that I will run into problems on snowy, rainy days? Ive been looking more into it, and this is what I was thinking. The 408 hughes kit. Hughes Iron heads with 2.02/1.62 valves. 1.6 rockers. Not decided on the cam yet but nothing really over .500 lift. And compression be around 9.5. Is that something that would still be streetable and reliable? What about injectors? Ive been playing around with this on desktop dyno and its sitting around 450hp and 500tq. Again thx for your input. I know what the stock heads are prone to cracking but was thinking I can try the iron hughes heads and if I run into problems throw some edelbrock alluminum heads.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am in the building of a 410 right now, this is what I have :

Scat crank Forged beams Forged Diamomd pistons 9.1:1 040 overbore Iron Ram/EQ heads ported and polished.

Kenne Bell SC with 10 psi, 24 Lbs FMS injectors, Compcams Timing chain, 1.6 lifters, Cometic headgasket and a special made cam with .515 lift for this kit.

Modified Kegger and shorty's on.

I am running occasionally on pumpgas, most of the time on Propane with 108 octane.

I am using it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
70 Posts
tkirk means traction would be a problem. i have a not-as-hot-as-I-would-like 360 and break traction all day on wet roads after a stop and especially on parking lots that have been slurry sealed... even with limited slip and wide tires. i need to find a stickier brand of tires

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
it sounds like a good combo the iron ram heads are the same as the eq magnums the magnums are just cheaper and you will need bigger injectors im guessing 32# or 36# for your set up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it sounds like a good combo the iron ram heads are the same as the eq magnums the magnums are just cheaper and you will need bigger injectors im guessing 32# or 36# for your set up
Ya it sounds good to me too, been looking at something like this for awhile. I think ill probably go with 36# injectors as it looks like 32# will be right at their limit for my build. Now what about the tranny, would a better converter and shift kit hold up for awhile, or is it gonna grenade the second i put my foot to it.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
you will need a higher stall converter as for the rest of the tranny i recomend going thru it and upgradeing parts if done right our trannys will handle over 1000hp however from the factory they have a few things that need correcting contact tactransman on what he suggests

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought of another questions. Do I need to get a different crank pulley/damper or flexplate since the stroker kit is internally balanced, and a stock 360 is externally balanced, or can the stock ones be used. I may be wron but this is just what I've heard. Thanks again guys.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
yes all those parts will have to be changed over for internally balanced parts also those parts need to be ballanced along with the rest of the rotating assy so its done right

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I would probably need both of these parts from hughes right?

Which of these Flex Plates - http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=6304&partid=11182
or http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgTWFnbnVtICgzLjkvNS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=RmxleHBsYXRlcw==&partid=11181

Damper - http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=24277&partid=24225

Also with the damper will I need a new crank pulley, or is the stock pulley able to be seperated from the stock damper?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
as far as flex plates you need the second one the dampner will work fine and as far as i know the crank pully just bolts on so it swaps over

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought of another questions. Do I need to get a different crank pulley/damper or flexplate since the stroker kit is internally balanced, and a stock 360 is externally balanced, or can the stock ones be used. I may be wron but this is just what I've heard. Thanks again guys.
You'll need a 318/5.2 balancer and flexplate. It's known as neutral balance. The 318 is internally balanced. The only way you'd need the balancer and flexplate for balancing is if it were externally balanced. This is a little cheaper to do actually, as mallory metal won't be needed for balancing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if your building it to the extreme you are you should get the balancer and flexplate balanced with the crank,rods,and pistons. that way it is all balanced as an assembly. it is not absolutely neccessary but advised. the reason is that your"neutral" balanced 318 flexplate and flywheel are not balanced to 0 they are + or - 2-3gramsand your crank,rods,and pistons are balanced to + or - 1 to 2 grams so if your flexplate is +2 grams on one side and the crank as well then your engine isnt very well balanced as a rotating assembly where as when you have everything balanced together they will balance it all to + or - 1 to 2 grams

·
Registered
56 Posts
Never thought of just getting a 318 balancer and flexplate. good idea. thx.
The KRC balanced assemblies would include the correct balancer and flexplate. If you're really going to thrash that thing get an SFI approved balancer. You don't want the stocker grenading at the 60ft. Actually the 318 flexplate is a no-no. 318s have a different bolt pattern than 360. As far as a converter goes, the 408 doesn't mandate a converter change, the cam you use in it does. Plenty of strokers out there with mild cams and stock converters. They are the ones with the longer life expectancy!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This engine is going in a daily driver, I dont want it to be anything crazy, and it will probably never see the drag strip. So would I be able to get away without having the whole assembly balanced together? Ill probably go with a stock converter maybe a little bit higher but nothing to high since its a daily driver.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, some how I figured that. Keep your stock converter, but make sure the tranny is healthy. This 408 will work really well with the stock converter and the Mopar RT+10 cam or for a little more torque, the KRC 206X. That's what I run straight up in my 360 and it will pull down a highrise. It matches well with daily driving with no PCM changes required and still tender enough for wheelin'. I plan on a 390 sometime before they tell me I can't drive anymore and it will have a 206X. Get yourself a windage tray for any Magnum stroker you build. It's needed and very frequently passed off in a street build.
You will enjoy that 408 far more with an M1 2B than your kegger.HTH

Sorry--- your question!
IF it's delivered as an internally balanced assy.,get a 318 damper, a 360 flexplate and zipwheel the balance weight off it. Just don't go over 6000 rpm. BTW, if you went to a 390 stroker, you wouldn't have this delema, you could use ALL 318 stuff. I've built and driven both for OP. The 390 is more impressive and longer lifespan. Stay at 10.3 cr max. use Felpro 1008 head gaskets,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.