Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow mopar maniacs!

Thought I would share my new engine build. The 5.9 I have has 84k on it and using oil. Why those low miles and oil consumption has got me. Must be the valve seals or cracked heads... I don't know.

I replaced the keg intake with a Hughes FI intake and it dropped the oil consumption down some but not a whole lot. Talked to a engine builder and I told him the engine uses about 3/4 qt every 1000 miles. He said "Is that all". Like this is supposed to be normal. Fords use a quart every 900 miles is what he told me. lol

Anyways I embarked on a journey for more HP/TQ and hopefully no more oil consumption.

Talked to Brian at IMM engines and he sold me a set of Engine Quest heads. He said they work better on the Magnums rather than the Indys. Hot Rod did a engine build with IMM and they used the EQ heads so it must be the ticket.

Parts list:

Engine Quest heads 2.02/1.60
PAC Beehive Springs
Ferra valves
Hughes FI intake
Fastman 52mm throttle body
SCT tuned
Flowtech headers
Stainless Steel Pro roller rockers
Hardend push rods
HV oil pump
SCAT Forged Crankshaft
SCAT 2-ICR6123-2124-7/16
Icon Forged Pistons #IC984 .030
Ring Set Total Seal #9024030NF
Rod Bearings #4101HN Clevite "H" series
Main Bearings #4017 Clevite "H” Seriess

The jury is still out on the roller cam. Got to crunch some numbers.

Any advise to avoid heartaches and troubles I would appreciate it.

·
Diego Serna
418 Posts
Hmmmmmm. Sounds like a crappy engine your building there!!! When you are done with it, you can feel free to install it in my truck!!!! Have you checked with some of the cam manufactures, to see what they recommend? I would thing Hughes would have a good idea.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Did you buy the pistons yet? If i recall icon is made by Keith Black. I was interested in a set of them(used) a guy had on craigs list. He replied and said one of them had a crack. After doing some research i found out they have a history of cracking. Not sure if the ones you have are the same but i looked up the # you posted and it looked the same. The crack starts at the valve cut out on the side of the piston. Are these sold as the 408 kit with the crank? If it where me i would look for different pistons.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmm. Sounds like a crappy engine your building there!!! When you are done with it, you can feel free to install it in my truck!!!! Have you checked with some of the cam manufactures, to see what they recommend? I would thing Hughes would have a good idea.
If I had your money I would build you one, have shipped to you and build me one too...:D

I got kind of got ahead of the game (imagine that) and purchased a cam from Hughes (as well as other parts) for this build but after talking with Brian at IMM ... I think the engine will get a custom cam. Hughes cam is going back.

Brian mentioned:

"I recommend our kit with the 4032 pistons, and only 9.4:1 compression for towing and heavy vehicles...cam I would spec would be [email protected] on a 112lca and would have about .550 lift.
This combo will make 485lb.ft. of TQ, and roughly 425HP."

I won't do any towing but I do know my truck is heavy...4500lbs

I have always been a 110 LSA guy with other cars/engines I've had. The 112 LSA would be a new road for me. I assume however this is a computer controlled vehicle and with the 112 I don't have to worry about my power brakes not working properly.

Did you buy the pistons yet? If i recall icon is made by Keith Black. I was interested in a set of them(used) a guy had on craigs list. He replied and said one of them had a crack. After doing some research i found out they have a history of cracking. Not sure if the ones you have are the same but i looked up the # you posted and it looked the same. The crack starts at the valve cut out on the side of the piston. Are these sold as the 408 kit with the crank? If it where me i would look for different pistons.
I really appreciate the heads up!!!

I've noticed that Icon pistons... most of them anyways is made of 2618 forged aluminum. Brian mentioned 4032 pistons (see above). This led to researching on the net and found the 4032 pistons seems to be more street friendly.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-081008-mahle-piston-alloy-comparison/

You might have saved me some troubles.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left the shop with a fresh motor 30k ago. finally got around to do a chain tensioner. WAY more clean at idle!!
AND! go fully forged btm end
www.campbellenterprises.com/mopar-360-crank-360-stroker-crank/k1-360-stroker-crank-5.9-forged-stroker-crankshaft.php
That is nice. IMM says a Scat cast crank is good up to 650HP.... I'm not going to be making that kind of HP... it should be around 450HP from what I've been told. Is there a good reason I should go forged?

What's the part number on that chain tensioner spun?

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's stronger than cast!

I understand that. When I said "Is there a good reason I should go forged?" was after I mentioned that the engine was going to be making 450HP and not 650Hp... so is there any good reason I should go forged since I'm not going to be making 650HP?.... is what I meant to say.

I guess I worded it wrong...lol

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I left the shop with a fresh motor 30k ago. finally got around to do a chain tensioner. WAY more clean at idle!!
AND! go fully forged btm end
www.campbellenterprises.com/mopar-360-crank-360-stroker-crank/k1-360-stroker-crank-5.9-forged-stroker-crankshaft.php

It's stronger than cast!
OK forged crank it is! Y'all happy now! :D

Guess I need to update the situation....

I've decided to let IMM Engines build my engine. First I called him and bought his heads. Then I decided to talk to him about a short block. He said he doesn't do short blocks because there is to much liability in something going wrong and would pointed back at him. You can't much blame him on that if you think about it. I could put the cam in backwards or something....:D

So I decided to let Brian build my engine. I really didn't want to disable my truck since it is my daily driver... run around back and forth to the local engine builder. Anyways... the local builders around my area are Chevy guys. :nono

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
the chain tensioner is standard on only 6cylinders. Y? I don't know cause both a 6 and 8cylinder can benefit from a accurate timing chain.
anybody who can assembly an engine responsibly could also do so with a forged crank as well.
I know for certain eagle cast cranks tend to fail more often then others. commonly on the timing chain snout.
if an eagle cast crank is the lowest quality available, I would put scat a step above them and K1 at the top of the list.
your from south Carolina? a few reputable builders are located on the east coast, just hard to find, if you don't mind out sourcing.
http://www.southeastrt.net/index.php?main_page=testimonials_manager&testimonials_id=43&zenid=98uspfcv955701c72fj8gh8km3
https://www.performanceinjectionequipment.com/

if I may add. I too run EQ heads from Odessa cylinder head in florida. LOVE um! let me suggest the "monster" version. out the door they are ready for big cam action! and if your going to compression values over the 9s or mid 9s +, 10/1 use edlebrock aluminum heads and ARP studs.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the chain tensioner is standard on only 6cylinders. Y? I don't know cause both a 6 and 8cylinder can benefit from a accurate timing chain.
anybody who can assembly an engine responsibly could also do so with a forged crank as well.
I know for certain eagle cast cranks tend to fail more often then others. commonly on the timing chain snout.
if an eagle cast crank is the lowest quality available, I would put scat a step above them and K1 at the top of the list.
your from south Carolina? a few reputable builders are located on the east coast, just hard to find, if you don't mind out sourcing.
http://www.southeastrt.net/index.php?main_page=testimonials_manager&testimonials_id=43&zenid=98uspfcv955701c72fj8gh8km3
https://www.performanceinjectionequipment.com/

if I may add. I too run EQ heads from Odessa cylinder head in florida. LOVE um! let me suggest the "monster" version. out the door they are ready for big cam action! and if your going to compression values over the 9s or mid 9s +, 10/1 use edlebrock aluminum heads and ARP studs.
I talked to Brian few moments ago and going with a Scat forged crank. Hopefully I won't have to worry about crank failure now.
Brian wants the engine compression to be 9.4 and no more.

I know exactly who perfomanceinjectionequipment is.... I'm not going to go in detail but I wouldn't let him build my lawnmower engine. All I'm going to say about that.

I talked to Richard (by your recommendation) and was very impressed with his knowledge. I was going to run one of his cams but one thing led to another so here is where I'm at today.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to need injectors.... Chrysler Hemi 6.1 or Ford Racing 30s.

I believe the 6.1 Hemi are 34lb. Been browsing some Hemi forums and the group all said they're 34lb. I don't anything about the Ford Racing ones.

Off of FlyRyan's info page

"On a 318/360, the stock injectors are fine till approximately 335 whp naturally aspirated. That will cover most heads/cam setups.
Hot 365s: Need to go to a Ford Racing 24# or 30# injector.
408s: Ford Racing 30s or Chrysler 6.1 Hemi injectors"

I've looked all over and find all kinds of different part numbers and pricing. Can't seem to find pound rate with the part numbers. Don't want to buy the wrong ones.

Hughes has some 32lb Accels but I don't know about the quality.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=Qi0gU21hbGwgQmxvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=RnVlbCBTeXN0ZW0gKEV4Y2x1ZGluZyBJbnRha2VzKQ==&level2=SW5qZWN0b3JzICYgQWNjZXNzb3JpZXM=&partid=28409

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
[URL=http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=24]#24 s[/URL]/ maybe #28s are big enough for your build. fool around on the injector calculator to test theories.
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/InjectorSizeCalc.html
I like to repurpose factory issued injectors for other cars and not just go to a aftermarket run of performance injectors. reason being- aftermarket stuff comes and goes! they may just fall off the map and you will not be able to find replacements.
I run a corvette 350ci small block, bosch III #24 injector in mine.
buy them tested and balanced as a group.
try
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/fuel-injectors/

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
ford racing injectors are blue body bosch IIIs I think. they are good ones too!
my connectors are ev1 iirc your injectors need to be ev6 for the wiring harness I believe. don't want added fail points and adapters engineered into a new engine if you ask me.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
#28s / #30s should do it!
bout 400hp?

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ryan's facebook group had a post on this very thing just yesterday or day before.

Here-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/flyinryanperformancediscussiongroup/1975415369448319/
I'm not a Facebook guru but I do have a account. lol

I don't see anything about injectors on his page... guess I have to join the group?

I emailed Ryan and asked him exactly what injectors I will need.... this is what he said: "Upon digging thru some recent notes I recalled after the fact that the 6.1 Hemi injectors mentioned do work but aren't 100% plug and play (a little short for some fuel rails). You can use a set of Ford Racing 39s instead."

So I ordered Ford 39s and they are here. Now FiveO gets back with me and suggests 33-34s.

I guess my fuel milage will suffer using the 39s or as long as Ryan knows what size I have he can tune it for optimum gas mileage and performance?

Also talked to Ryan about Hughes Engines Big Gulp throttle body. Ryan states: "The Big Gulp flows about as much as a 52......lol
Hughes inflates their flow numbers.....by alot.

I run a F&B 58mm, I'd suggest the same for you as well. fbthrottlebodies.com

So ordered the F&B 58mm..... it costs $507 .... talking about a big gulp... :D

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
408 parts list so far:

Engine Quest heads 2.02/1.60
PAC Beehive Springs
Ferra valves
Stainless Steel Pro roller rockers
Hughes FI intake
F&B 58mm throttle body
Ford racing 39 injectors
SCT tuner
Flowtech headers
HV oil pump (with washer mod)
Comp custom ground cam .220/[email protected] .50 550/550 lift 112LSA(subject to change)
Scat forged crank
Scat 4030 forged pistons
Scat 6.123 forged rods

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.