DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a van w/ a 400 and 727. I'm thinking of using the 400 to replace the original 361, my question; can I also use the 727, or do I need to replace the output and tail shaft? any coments on the 400?

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Not sure what van transmissions look like but your Satellite should already have a 727 in it. Replacing the output shaft requires a complete dissassembly of the transmission, not really worth the headache unless you plan on rebuilding the trans. You will need the torque converter from the 400 though, its got balance weights on it that are specific to the 400.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moparreacer, I take it that, when I do the swap I need the TC from the 400 tranny to use on the existing 727? thanx for your reply.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Yes, the torque converter will be needed. It has balance weights on it to help balance the engine. Without it the engine will vibrate badly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the info, I'll make sure I use it if I go w/ that set-up. I might get a 440 instead, I just found out about a guy selling one, $100.oo cheaper than the 400 set- up. Do I need the TC for the 440 also? Thanx.

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
It all depends on what year the 440 is and if it has a cast crank or a forged crank.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
That big-block van 727 is gold. Not many B-vans had big-blocks in them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moparracer, for what I was told is a 67-68 HP, forged crank 440, I should know more about it tomorrow. Vanman, the van was a low milage van, the engine is very clean, as was the oil , radiator looks clean, green antifrez. might not be the original engine but it apears that it is, I'll check the #'s. The guy I got it from told me to take whatever I need out of it and take him back the shell, so I got the Elec. Ignition and all, I'll see what else I can use. Trans looks to be the same length, I might just need to change the speedo gear. One thing I didn't like is the Water pump housing dumps on the Pass. side.The trans. dont look that bad either, my friend that was helping me got soaked, and the fluid was clean also. Now I just have to take the engine out of the van, I've never done an engine out of a van, any sugestions? Should I take it out from the front or from the side? Thanx for the replys. Rob.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The engine has to out of the front on the B-vans. Not really a big deal since basically the whole front end can be removed..like the grille, rad. support, bumper, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vanman, looks like it will be a tight fit, the oil pan seems to be kind of deep. but I'll let you know, Just waiting to take the kids to school before I can get started.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You'll have to remove the carburetor, the accessories, maybe even the valve covers and exhaust manifolds to gain some extra clearance....it's going to be a very close fit. One cool thing about a van is that everything is pretty accessible when you take the dogbox off.

Oh, van big-block motor mounts are made of gold also, so those could be an Ebay thing for you as well.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
A couple of pics of taking the motor out the front. Trick is to get the van high enough when you start

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ram, thanx for the pictures, they were big help, vanman, did as you said, that got me quite a bit of clearence, the only problem that I had was the blower motor and the pan being so deep. (I guess doing it by my self had a lot to do w/it, took me a while but I got it out). Now for the good news, it is a 440, when I was looking at it I didn't see the second set of #, it statrted w/ 400###, so I figure that's what it was, the 440 was behind the mount and didn't see it till I had the motor out. Thanx for the heads up on the mounts, what do you think I can get for them? also any other part I should keep? Thanx again.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
That oil pan probably won't work in the Coronet. You could probably sell that too.

I'd start the mounts out at like $40 on Ebay...or sell them outright for like $80. Like I said if anyone is converting a B-van to a big-block, they'll need these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
vanman, you are right about the oil pan, the sump is in the back. I noticed that the oil dip-stick is on the pan and not through the block, I did see a plug on the block where the stick ususlly goes. have you ever taken the plug and atached the dip-stick through, if so, how dificult is it? Thanx again for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Should be a location on the left side of the block just behind the motor mount and at the pan rail height for a dipstick tube to be pressed in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
six pack, I saw the location for the dipstick, I was wondering if anyone has taken the plug out and pressed the tube in, just want to know if there is any tricks to it. never played with a 440 before, I'm just learning ,so any help is greatly apreciated.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Never knew about the plug in the block. I just learned something....may it's a van thing so they could install the 5-mile long dipstick and tube in the pan.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
dart_man said:
six pack, I saw the location for the dipstick, I was wondering if anyone has taken the plug out and pressed the tube in, just want to know if there is any tricks to it. never played with a 440 before, I'm just learning ,so any help is greatly apreciated.
Take the plug out and put your new dipstick tube in. You can still buy these from Mopar or Mopar performance has a chrome dipstick and tube that come as a pkg if that's more to your liking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
six pack, Got the plug out and the tube in, it was easy enough. I just used the one out of the 361. vanman, the van had a hole drilled in the pan with a copper fitting, the dipstick tube just attached to it, you ain't kidding about the five mile long dipstick, lol! engine is almost ready to go back in the car, I need to install plugs, wires and the exhaust manifolds, it got late to fast so I'll do it tomorrow I need to pull the old tranny out and put in the new one in. will let you know how it goes. Thanx again for your input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.