Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to share my coupe with those who it may interest;

The attached photos are of a 1940 Plymouth Business Coupe. The car was purchased (in pieces) approx. 20yrs. ago by a father and 2 sons in Dixon, Illinois. They also purchased a complete drivetrain from a '70 340 AAR Cuda' that the owner rolled at 1yr. old with 5,000mi.(as I was told). The original Cuda' owner stored the drivetrain until the father and sons aquired and installed into this '40. The father and sons sold the car assembled, wired for 12v and painted in brown primer to a gentleman in Sycamore, Illinois. The guy in Sycamore painted the car in black primer and drove the car on/off for approx 6 years. The Sycamore guy drove it to Chicago and back a number of times and in the rain(mistake). I purchaced the '40 and a '72 Monte Carlo from the guy in Sycamore approx. 8 yrs. ago. I drove the Coupe on/off for 2yrs. until I put it in storage. Currently the frame need to be re-cleaned and so-forth, but it's still a darn nice car.

The 2 large photos are from last week. I pulled it from storage to move it 350mi. north. The 2 smaller photos are from approx 8yrs. ago when I purchased it. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I would love to get my hands on something like that to go with the 40 I built for my father-in-law a couple years ago

Attachments

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
JasForbes said:
Hi, Looks great. What did you go through when you built it?
Hell and 8 years of searching for parts :) Its all original except the wheels. Here are a couple of pics when I brought it home from the spray booth. Most of the chrome parts including inside door handles and window cranks came from ebay brand new. I got the headlight rings off ebay in poor condition and they had to be drilled, soldered and rechromed. The bumpers where the originals I had rechromed.
There are more pics of start to finish on my website at http://www.cyberbiker.ca/40ply.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
coupe

Hey guy`s with the coupes S. Weigel what color paint did you put on the coupe it was wilded. Hey guy`s I have a 1949 dodge coupe I just bought the door`s have beed shaved and it has flame work done to it I have been doing body work to it. I have a couple questions for you guy`s the split hood it didn`t come with fastners to hold it down could you tell me our show me what they look like and could some one tell me how to do flame work it has a flat head six in it and some one put a new front end under it. Ihave to put a new windshield in it and I like to put a front seat out of a Dodge ram truck I think that would look sweet!! what do you guy`s think ??

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Cool!! :cool: I just kinda hopes that he keeps it all Mopar! I've been to those Goodguys shows and seen good ol' Plymouth business coupes that were all nicely done but with a major flaw....90% of them were powered by chebbie motors!! :VHOT: That kind of thing pisses me off!! :mad:

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I had all the glass for the 40 except the back window which was rounded cut at an automotive glass place. They cut them all then sent them out to have them tempered. Car has been done almost 3 years now and none of them have cracked or chipped

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1940 Plymouth Hoods are locked down by external levers- see attached photo.

If you plan to replace the factory seats, you may consider seats with built in seat belts. Chrysler has a few vehicles that have factory lap+shoulder belts built into the seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put some ranger seats in the Dodge it does not look right so I have a Doge 4x4 and i like them seats so this spring I am going to the salvage yards to see what i can get what do you guy`s think??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andy - I like the seats from the Chrysler Sebring. Truck seats are fine too. Do you have photos, I'd like to see the work in progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.