DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: I want to put 4.88 gear in my 99 dodge ram 1500. It has the 9.25 rear end under it. I heard with the 4.88 gears that you may need to grind tooth or use notched crosspin for clearance. Is this true? Anybody running this gear? I can have two different gear ratios in my truck as long as i dont put it in 4-wheel drive right? Any info would really help me out. Thanxs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody out there know? Need to know soon. Week till i get my tax money.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i had to grind the valey between 2 teeth (just the very tips) to get the pin in with my 456 gears im guessing 488 would be the same the ring gear is thicker the lower you go in ratios for added strength

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have read the same thing in search for my gears.not sure about the 4wd thing though

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
as for different gears front and rear you can have different ratios as long as you dont use 4x4 i ran mine that way for about 6 months i just removed my front drive shaft just in case i forgot and tried to use it

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i dont need a notched pin? how do u like the 4.56's? I want the 4.88 just because i can you know? You have 4.56's in the front now?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
yes i have them in i put them in around september the rear was done over a year ago and i love them they made a big difference i just have to be careful on wet or icy roads as the front end and back end try to swap positions on me

as for the notched pin wasnt aware there was such an animal but its cheaper to just grind the teeth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.