Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
2k2_AtlanticBlu said:
Torque management also applies to when you are doing a launch like trying to burnout. If you get a Superchips, or pull the tmr wire, it will help when trying to burnout. If you really just are looking to fry the tires, just hold the brakes down a little and floor the gas!

Andrew
pull the tmr wire will help me burnout?? hurry where is it at i am gonna go pull it right now lol. but seriously wat is it and is it ok to pull out?

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Run a search for tmr mod, and you should find all you keed to know.

Andrew

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
It is nearly impossible to do a straight on burnout in a AWD Durango on dry pavement without disconnecting and removing the front driveshaft.

Other than the wheeeeeeeeeeee effect, why would you want to do this? You are going to cause damage to the diffs, transfer case and transmission, not to mention what may be done to the engine. It could wind up costing you lots of $$$ in the future for one big Wheeeee today.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
If you have an Awd, you aren't going to do a burnout on dry pavement, without some major hp and torque. But I am not sure if he has a awd or it is just a 4x4.

Andrew

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
no mine is just a 4wd that can be turned off. and i like to whee all the time because it is fun, the burning out cant do damage to the engine or the diff, by flooring it it usually cleans the engine out and getts it
running good.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
02Durango! said:
the burning out cant do damage to the engine or the diff, by flooring it it usually cleans the engine out and getts it running good.
You sound like an auto repair shops dream customer.

Doing burnouts will cause accelerated wear and tear on your tires, engine, and your entire drivetrain.

However, it appears from your post that you are somehow magically protected from this damage. I recommend that you do burnouts every time the light turns green, especially when the cops are within earshot. I am sure that the same magic that protects your Durango will also protect you from the law.

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
canyonD said:
You sound like an auto repair shops dream customer.

Doing burnouts will cause accelerated wear and tear on your tires, engine, and your entire drivetrain.

However, it appears from your post that you are somehow magically protected from this damage. I recommend that you do burnouts every time the light turns green, especially when the cops are within earshot. I am sure that the same magic that protects your Durango will also protect you from the law.
no need to be a smartass.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
True,

but were you really serious when you said:
02Durango! said:
burning out cant do damage to the engine or the diff, by flooring it it usually cleans the engine out and getts it running good.

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
canyonD said:
True,

but were you really serious when you said:
no, i no that it can cause a lot faster wear on the tires and can do damage to the diff and engine, but it is good to floor it every once in a while to clean out all the carbon!

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
There are smarter ways to clean carbon out of an engine. From simple, like fuel system cleaners, to more ballsy ways like water injection. I used to run a water fog/stream into my carburetors. It does a quick cool on the cylinders, breaks carbon up, and flushes it out on a fog of steam out the exhaust.

Simply doing a jackrabbit start from a stoplight won't do it.

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
Carbon cleaning is best done at highway speeds...not jackrabbit starts where you MIGHT clean some of it, but destroy and benefits of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your durango is pretty heavy, plus you have a limited slip diff. Limited slip does NOT mean 1 wheel will spin freely. That would be an open diff. Limited slip (posi-traction) means just that. It allows 1 wheel to slip with a limited amount of rotation (not much at all) before engaging the other wheel. Without some breathing mods to enhance the throttle response, you'll have to save burnouts for wet pavement or put on some bald tires.

-John

·
Registered
793 Posts
I.C.S.L.M.F.A.O. :D
I have tried to do a burn out one time in my D and I have 3.92:1 gears with a factory limited slip. The most I got out of the truck was a 5 mph spin on dry pavement. So if your truck has 3.55: 1 gear and limited slip your going to need more then just a throttle body and exhaust. J.M. .02.
4.10:1 or 4.56 sounds like a good start to me. Not only because of increased torque to the wheels ,but also easier on the drivetrain. Also get a trans cooler.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
gears for 4x4's get expensive, in my college student situation anyway, I say you do the basic intake/exhaust throttlebody mods, and cut ur torque management wire:)

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
o thanks so much daklover i have been looking for someone who new something about the stupid wire! i cant wait to cut it tomrrow

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
hoe that helps out,
ohh and btw, I noticed that after I put my Exhaust on I could do something that I couldnt before, chirp the tires when my auto shifts in to 2nd during WOT

·
Registered
18 Posts
2k2_AtlanticBlu said:
Torque management also applies to when you are doing a launch like trying to burnout. If you get a Superchips, or pull the tmr wire, it will help when trying to burnout. If you really just are looking to fry the tires, just hold the brakes down a little and floor the gas!

Andrew
yah just remember to hit the tow/haul button so you dont mess up your over drive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Big tires...Small engine...Not enough torque to break 'em loose. When I first got my '07 Ram (4.7, manual trans, 3.92 limited-slip), I could lay an easy 100' of rubber with both tires, from a stop, in a straight line. That was with 265/70-17 Goodyears. Then I installed 305/50-20 Toyos and all I could get was a quick chirp, leaving the line. Having great traction might detract from the fun, but it sure improves performance!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.