DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 Durango. At idle the oil pressure seems low. The needle registers at the very low side of normal just before entering the low range. Oil pressure increases as rpm increases. I know this is normal. I am just not sure what oil pressure should be at idle. Thanks in advance.

·
Canadian Mopar Man
601 Posts
My oil pressure is always near half on the gauge when the engine is warm and never goes below that. Maybe your oil is low or is old and has thinned out. Also someone may have used the wrong grade oil. Anyways, I would check the condition of the oil first.
:ylsuper:

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Well, one thing is for sure: whenever the pressure gage reads zero and you don't shut off your engine... :D

Okay guys, now that I'm done helpin' out here I've gotta go an' fly...see ya.

:cheerl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
when I have had that problem, LOW OIL or DIRTY OIL those are Always the culprit..

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Well I don't have a guage on my stripped down sport model... but I wouldn't be surprised that the pressure would be low at idle on our 4.7's. The 4.7 idles slower than any engine I've come across.

If you turn on your AC does it still read low?

Of course as mentioned above allways good to check the level and condition of the oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 2002 does the same.Ildes at the lowest line and runs up near the highest line when driving.
oil change doesn nothing to change it...i assumed its the normal range.
60,000 mile son the engine...i would say its not worn to bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses so far. My Durango also has 60,000 miles. I did change the oil and filter like some suggested. The oil pressure readings have not changed. The low oil pressure at idle may be due to the fact of the engine idling at a very low 500 rpm as someone else suggested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Durango that I just purchased, a 2002 SLT 4.7 with 44,000 miles on it does the same thing. I flushed the crankcase twice, just to be sure nothing was wrong. Oil was extrememly clean first drain and I did two back to back oil changes after the flush and the Oil pressure still does the same, so I am imagining it is a normal engine condition for this vehicle. Keep me posted on this one though if anyone else thinks otherwise.

Joe

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
RaminMD said:
My Durango that I just purchased, a 2002 SLT 4.7 with 44,000 miles on it does the same thing. I flushed the crankcase twice, just to be sure nothing was wrong. Oil was extrememly clean first drain and I did two back to back oil changes after the flush and the Oil pressure still does the same, so I am imagining it is a normal engine condition for this vehicle. Keep me posted on this one though if anyone else thinks otherwise.

Joe
Is yours clattering away like it isn't getting oil or is it sounding normal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unnamed said:
Is yours clattering away like it isn't getting oil or is it sounding normal?
No, sounding normal. I know what the difference is in sound. defenitly normal, no knocking or pinging, no odd valvetrain noises. Had it on the lift at my shop last night with the Stethescope listening and heard nothing that would point to anything abnormal in engine. Haven't put a mechanical guage on yet to see exactly what the pressure is reading. But like I said I did twp crankcase flushes back to back last night and still did the same afterwards. If it was oil clogged in the sump that should have loosened it up and at least changed my readings slightly on the shitty factory guages. So I am imagining it is normal unless the pump it self is starting to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.