DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they fun to drive? Is there enough power? I am trading my truck in soon to get the wife a Jeep GC and then we are selling her car so I can get another truck. I just want something cheaper than what I have now and have found quite a few Rams with the 4.7L 5 speed.

Also, how many miles are too many on a 4.7L? I know it has a lot to do with maintenance, but I figured i'd ask anyway.

Joey

·
Registered
128 Posts
How many years back do you have to go to find the 5-speed manual? Have the 6-speed manuals been available since the 3rd Generations came out? If you can find an '08 4.7 with the 6-speed then you have the truck of your dreams. '08s were the first year to have the 310 hp 4.7, and the last year where the manual transmission was available. Great fun to drive!

·
Certified M.D.
29 Posts
If it was me I would personally go test drive an 08 4.7L. I think it was Motor Trend who said they would probably not buy the Hemi and get the 4.7 because the cost to performance difference isn't worth it.

I agree that there are a lot of 4.7 out there for a relatively cheap price. Now, if you're thinking of buying an older 4.7 with only 235Hp like my 02 had, then I would say don't do it. I don't know what year they put the 5 speed with the 4.7 but I thought my truck was underpowered.

Just my 2 cents. But definitely test drive one.

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, but I really dont care about performance or drag racing too much any more. I just want something that isn't terribly underpowered.

The main thing is that it absolutely has to be a manual transmission. I will never buy another automatic. Mine feels like it is about to give up any day now. Price is also a factor in this so I really would like to keep it around $10k-$12k.

Joey

·
Certified M.D.
29 Posts
I know in Wisconsin 4.7 manuals are dirt cheap. They are not very common but very cheap if you can find one. I just don't think the old 4.7 would "feel" powerful enough. I'm sure they are fine in a two wheel drive but I just wasn't happy with the power mine had. I only had 50k when I traded it in so it's not like it was tired or anything.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
My 04 4.7L 5 speed works great. The power is fine for me, but the joy of a manual far outweights the HP thing. It also has a manual transfer case, which is a good thing. With my mods it is a very fun truck to drive, but I might suggest 4.10 gears rather than 4.56s unless you plan on getting 33" or taller tires. Eventually I might try to get an 08 4.7L used, but for now I am happy. Oh and FYI, the NV3500 5 speed was available for the first half of the 2005 model year, then they switched to the Getrag 238 6 speed. DT member stickshiftsrule was one of the first (and very few) to have an 05 6 speed manual with a manual transfer case.

One advantage to the 5 speed is you can pop in a Hurst short throw shifter like the one I got in this thread. You need to get the handle position modified, or get a different handle, but it works very well:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166553&highlight=hurst

Oh and yes, they are hard to find. I bought mine used in Feb 07 from a place in St. Louis and drove it back to Denver ...

Edit: It is the 5 speed that has the Hurst shifter - not the 6 speed

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
my 97 dak had the 5.2 w/ nv3500 5 spd. never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had an '03 ram 4.7 5-speed 4.10 gears, intake, exhaust, throttle body, & hurst shifter. It was a very fun truck but still not faster than a hemi. I now have a 2000 dakota with the 4.7 & 5-speed and stock 3.92 gears. It is much faster than the ram was because of the weight difference. Find a dakota with that setup and you might be in love unlesss you need the room of the ram.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
If it was me I would personally go test drive an 08 4.7L. I think it was Motor Trend who said they would probably not buy the Hemi and get the 4.7 because the cost to performance difference isn't worth it.

I agree that there are a lot of 4.7 out there for a relatively cheap price. Now, if you're thinking of buying an older 4.7 with only 235Hp like my 02 had, then I would say don't do it. I don't know what year they put the 5 speed with the 4.7 but I thought my truck was underpowered.

Just my 2 cents. But definitely test drive one.
I agree.

My truck will pull me back in my seat. Not bad for a 4x4 QC. Those new 4.7L motors are bad ass. And you will pay about 6k less for a new 08 just because it doesn't say Hemi on it and nobody wants the 4.7L motors so those tucks have huge discounts on them. Its funny I wanted the Hemi. After finally and reluctantly test driving the 4.7L I was stunned. And when looking at the bottom line (money) the 08 4.7L trucks are a steal because you really cannot tell the difference between them and the older Hemi just driving them around. Even floored on the highway I cannot tell that much of a difference. Maybe with 6000 lbs in towing at 70mph if you floor it you may notice the 35 hp difference??? Who knows...the new 4.7 has PLENTY of power with 310 HP and 330 TQ. I have a thread somewhere that shows the 4.7L Mopar motor is right in line with Chevy 5.3, Nissan, and Ford's 5.4 big motors power wise.

Its not worth the extra 6 grand in my book for the Hemi in 08. The new 09 Hemi is may be worth it though. Now if you are looking at an 07 or older, get the Hemi. You will notice 100hp difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just what Fatal wishes said X2! I came from an underpowered 1996 ford 302 to an 2008 4.7. I am not a drag racer or anything like that (my truck is all stock), but the power feels like the truck is well made and will last forever. I was specifically looking for and automatic and rubber floor mats. could not find it after about three weeks of looking all over the Houston area. All rubber floored trucks had a stick and if I remember right most were V6. so I ended up with carpet for the first time in my life, I'll have to be more careful. I hope you can find the stick and the V8. You will LOVE the 2008 4.7 even if you don't want to race.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i had a 2003 QC 4x4 sport with a 5-speed manual tranny...it was not enough power for me...

did change the gears though and that helped, they were 4.56 and pushing 35's... :rck:

·
Finally a 5 speed
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the replies, but I can't afford an 08. Im looking into more like 02-05. Ive even found a few low mileage 2nd gens that I liked. One RCSB 5.2L 5 speed 4x4 stood out. I dont know much about the 2nd gens though.

I cant spend over $12k. I really shouldn't spend over $10k.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I would be happy if I got $8K for my 04, so that is probably a good price to be insisting on. I paid $12K for it back in Feb 07 used (which was back when trucks were still popular).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a 4.7 5-speed and fun as heck to drive. the power to wheel hp is right around 200. The truck to me feels more of a sports car, probably just the way I drive, but sticks are always more fun then automatics, it is hard thought to not have a tire spin in the rain. I love my stick and won't give it up for an automatic. Plus the feel of a v8 is great, and even better if you have exhaust. I probably would've traded in my truck along time ago for a newer one if it weren't for the stick, to me that made me fall in love with the thing, no matter how much trouble she gives me.

here are a couple of vids
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=20478455

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you all for the replies, but I can't afford an 08. Im looking into more like 02-05. Ive even found a few low mileage 2nd gens that I liked. One RCSB 5.2L 5 speed 4x4 stood out. I dont know much about the 2nd gens though.

I cant spend over $12k. I really shouldn't spend over $10k.
best advice is to shop around, when i was wanting to trade in my 03 for something a little newer, i found the truck i currently have, it's the 04 2500 QC 4x4 SLT Hemi, 5-speed tranny, 4.10 gears, etc...i paid $10k for my truck...she had 80k miles on her...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.