DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Garnet2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading all the threads about the 180 degree thermostat for the 4.7. So I went out and bought the one that was recommended the SUPERSTAT 45358. When I took out the factory thermostat I noticed a few differences. The factory thermostat is longer and it looks like it has some kind of bypass valve on it. I have a 2003 4.7, is there a difference from the 2002 4.7 on this item?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
The stock t-stat for a HEMI was much longer than the Stant 800-180 also. The stock even had a spring, while the Stant didn't. I put the Stant in and no problems. Go with the Stant!

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Here's the problem I've been running into with the thermostat debacle.
I read in another thread where a guy simply used a Hemi 180 T-stat and trimmed it to fit the t-stat housing. I did it, and found that it won't work, here's why (and you may want to do a search for more threads, I explained it right after it happened):

The 4.7 t-stat housing actually uses the t-stat body as part of it's coolant bypass system. It actually provides up to 50% coolant bypass, and keeps closer tabs on the coolant temp using this setup, it reacts quicker to fluctuations. The shorter body of the Hemi t-stat allows too much bypass and overheats the engine.

I've gone round and round with every parts store near me, and the answer is always the same, "No such animal exists." The closest I got to actually finding this Holy Grail brought me right back around to our magical Superstat 45358, lol.

They told me we may need to see if there's anyone with the DC service dept. that knows how to get around this (you know, the real type mechanic that buys his company's product, and is a fan, modifying it to be better than it was).

I was just too tired, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.