DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TEst drove 06 hemi yesterday and coming from a gm guy who does not want to pay gm prices I was very impressed by the vehicle as a whole more room inside than I thought and drove really nice. This will be for my fiance so do we need the hemi they did not have a 4.7 at the place we were at. We need 4x4. Will I be sorry a few years from now if I choos the 4.7? Also I think I am going used even though the rebates are great I am actually leaning towrds an 05 unless I can get a certified 06 for the longer powertrain warranty and there are not many used ones wiht the Hemi. Who has driven and or owned both? One thing that concerns me is the engine being underpowered and overworking the tranny since we live in the foothills.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 4.7 is a good engine, but if you want a 4X4 Durango, get a Hemi. The 4.7 is very capable in 2wd form (to me it didn't feel that much different than 5.3 in the 2000-2006 Tahoes and Yukon). But given that the AWD splits wheel power, get the HEMI.

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
my sister had a 04 durange, later traded it in, cause it was a gas hog. but overall it was nicely powered, theres was 2wd.

·
lostsoul trapped in time
423 Posts
maco162004 said:
The 4.7 is very capable in 2wd form (to me it didn't feel that much different than 5.3 in the 2000-2006 Tahoes and Yukon). But given that the AWD splits wheel power, get the HEMI.
Not sure why everyone bashes the 4.7. It is a very good engine and very capable in 4wd as well, especially on snow. As others stated before, if you can cough up the extra 2k or are in a good situation with payments to get the Hemi, then by all means do so in order to get the extra 100HP. Unfortunately I went in on my trade upside down and could have afforded the Hemi but was not willing to make the payment that the dealer wanted and went with the 4.7. I've been very content with the 4.7. Remember this is an SUV and not meant for racing because of the option to have a Hemi. I've also heard many complain that the AWD robs power from the Hemi, therefore if you go with the Hemi, be sure to get the 2wd instead of AWD if you are looking for maximum power from the Hemi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both a 2004 4.7 SLT and a 2005 Hemi Limited Durango. I have no problem with the power of the 4.7 it is a very capable engine with plenty of power. That being said the Hemi is awesome. Although the 4.7 is not under powered you can really tell the difference when you step on the Hemi. If you can pay the extra $ for the Hemi I would do it. I think that the gas mileage is very similar only about 1 or 2 miles per gallon different.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hemi

·
Drug Dealer
666 Posts
Because there's not much of a difference in gas mileage, you'll have a higher resale value and you get 100hp go with the Hemi. Those were the deciding factors for me...

·
Registered
4 Posts
hemi all the way. Drove both at dealer, hemi has that sound of power ,yet it smoother. I got used 05 last spring,13.000mi real good deal. We love it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I test drove both before I decided on the hemi. The deciding factors for me were the towing capacity and the passing power on the highway.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Hemi, I have both and I prefer the hemi.My wife have the 4.7 and she love it and that is ok but me the hemi is the way to go.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
cberger62 said:
Because there's not much of a difference in gas mileage, you'll have a higher resale value and you get 100hp go with the Hemi. Those were the deciding factors for me...
This pretty much say's it all! HEMI.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get HEMIFIED :rck:

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I said again HEMI.Read my lips HEMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
HEMI. Smooth total power. It takes alot of $$ in a 4.7 L to get to HEMI performance.

If you are towing - HEMI.
If not - the 4.7L is adequate. Just don't test drive the HEMI.

Myself? I plan to tow a boat - so didn't want to be limited in my selections.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.