Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-
I'm pretty new to the board and have spent the last tow days reading, searching and reading some more. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7 auto. Currently it is riding on 265/70/17's. I have done nothing other than put a K-n-N filter in the factory box. I'm pretty sure the truck has 3.42 ratio gears stock. I'm looking at the following mods, but would like some help from the more expierenced ppl here on the correct order to do them, and or if these are the right ones to be considering. This vehichle is NOT a race truck by any means, I tow/Haul a little ( 21ft boat approx 4,000 lbs), Very little off roading of a serious nature. I drive about 10 miles round trip to work each day,and out to the farm. I probably spend 200 miles a month on the Highway... So this is a mix of performance and Fuel MPG increase etc.

I'm looking at

HO cams ( I really do not think I need the 206's I'm reading about due the fact that I do not race this truck, is this right)
HO intake
4.56 Gears
Ram air system
295/70/17 tires on factory rims
JBA headers ( are these direct drop ins?) Ive heard talk about a modified Y pipe?
Flowmaster muffler or equivilant

This is the list as of now. Any help will be great

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
That sounds about right man, you should be set with that easy.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
The newer rams (like your 04) come with the "HO" cams and Intake from the factory.

I'd get the 206's...if you're gonna install a cam, might as well make it worthwile.

The headers are direct drop ins, no modifications needed for them, although a new Ypipe could be added if you want since the factory ones are doodoo.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
adamsredlines said:
The newer rams (like your 04) come with the "HO" cams and Intake from the factory.
Adam then why is it that i can run with an 05 ram 4.7 with intake exhaust, he will beat me in the end, i would just figured that he would rip me a new one if he had the ho cams and intake!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if my truck has the HO cams already would I really need to do anything with the cams for my type of driving. I mean I was thinking more along the lines of an RV style something that has power from say idles to 3500 RPM or something. I will not be redlining the truck etc. Does this make sense?? I can't remember off the top of my head but I thought the 206's were something like 25oo-6000???

Would the headers make sense for a first mod then? Or would the gears be better?

Thoughts

Victor

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Without other mods, you wont notice a difference with the headers except for your exhaust note.

If you've got the 3.55's, gears will make a big difference.

From what I've heard, gears and cams make the biggest difference....my gears didnt make a HUGE difference as I had the 3.92s from the factory, and I got the headers because I plan on headers later down the road...just "getting ready" if ya know what I mean.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
If yours came stock with 17's, then it's a safe bet that you have the 3:55 rear end. You'll see a HUGE difference with the 4:56's. A moderately modded 4.7 will wake the hell right up with that change.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
adamsredlines said:

I'd get the 206's...if you're gonna install a cam, might as well make it worthwile.

The headers are direct drop ins, no modifications needed for them, although a new Ypipe could be added if you want since the factory ones are doodoo.
From what I know the only thing the 2003-up H/O and the Standard 4.7L share are the intake manifolds... the cams are in fact different.

You should make your exhaust a TRUE 3" single system with a true 3" cat and single in single out Muffler.

Also I did not see an electric fan on your list... I would do the electric fan also.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AIR_RAM said:
From what I know the only thing the 2003-up H/O and the Standard 4.7L share are the intake manifolds... the cams are in fact different.

You should make your exhaust a TRUE 3" single system with a true 3" cat and single in single out Muffler.

Also I did not see an electric fan on your list... I would do the electric fan also.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Air_Ram,
thanks for the info. So you would do single exhaust vs true duals? What is t he reason for this? Also where would I find High flow cats ( mine are in the Y pipe).

What would you reccomend for the cams in question. Also if I go with the 305/70/17 tires would it be more benificial for the 4.56 or the 4.10's?

Also I was looking at the power wire/ air kit on your sight will this help me at all??

Thanks for the help

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
1. Airram Cold Air Intake
2. 4.56 Gears
3. Airram Dustpan
4. Airram Power Wire
5. Full Synthetic In All Components
6. E-fan
7. T.p.s. Adjust
8. Aps Converter
9. True Dual 2/14 Exhaust With No Muffler
10. Heavy, Heavy Right Foot.

Of Course This Is All Imo. The 4.7 Is A Good Motor Just With A Few Easy Mods It Can Be Awesome. The Three Biggest And Best Mosd That I Made Were The Cai, Exhaust, And 4.56 Gears....

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Hunter7474, if you are looking for performance, then why not get the 206 cams over the H.O.? They are far better at everything, and not just racing cams. The intake will be worthless since the '03 up have the same as the H.O. The rest of your mods look pretty good to me.

Andrew

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
2k2_AtlanticBlu said:
Hunter7474, if you are looking for performance, then why not get the 206 cams over the H.O.? They are far better at everything, and not just racing cams. The intake will be worthless since the '03 up have the same as the H.O. The rest of your mods look pretty good to me.

Andrew
It all depends on if its a 2002 H/O or a 2003-UP H/O...

The 2002 H/O intake manifold is more of an upper RPM manifold as it will make approximately 5-6HP over the 2003-up H/O intake manifold.

I have the 2002 H/O Intake manifold on my truck.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,471 Posts
1. Airram Cold Air Intake
2. 4.56 Gears
3. Airram Dustpan
4. Airram Power Wire
5. Full Synthetic In All Components
6. E-fan
7. T.p.s. Adjust
8. Aps Converter
9. True Dual 2/14 Exhaust With No Muffler
10. Heavy, Heavy Right Foot.

Of Course This Is All Imo. The 4.7 Is A Good Motor Just With A Few Easy Mods It Can Be Awesome. The Three Biggest And Best Mosd That I Made Were The Cai, Exhaust, And 4.56 Gears....
Im pretty close to what he is saying, but i would go with...
1. 4.56's
2. Airram CAI/PW/Scoop
3. good exhaust (such as the flowmasters that was mentioned)
4. E-fan
then if you dont have a problem with any warrenty issues, id go with:
5. 206 cams
6. headers
7. and maybe a 70mm tb if you want...

I dont have as much knowledge as i would say the majority of the people on this site (maybe 1/1000th of airram's knowledge) but this is what i would consider... and if you have a 4.7L... i would trust the guy that has done nearly everything under the sun to his 4.7L and knows the ins/outs pros/cons on all of them... AIR_RAM

-David

·
Private Assasin
1,198 Posts
Definately replace the Ypipe on your truck...Only the 2002-2003 trucks had good venturi Y-pipes...the later ones were junk.

You should have dual cats (2004) so a true flow 3" I/O cat probably wouldn't be necessary.

I'm drawn on the cams. 206s are nice, but they aren't cheap. HOs are good for bring your peak torque in at a much lower RPM, for far less coin.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
schawks73 said:
Im pretty close to what he is saying, but i would go with...
1. 4.56's
2. Airram CAI/PW/Scoop
3. good exhaust (such as the flowmasters that was mentioned)
4. E-fan
then if you dont have a problem with any warrenty issues, id go with:
5. 206 cams
6. headers
7. and maybe a 70mm tb if you want...

I dont have as much knowledge as i would say the majority of the people on this site (maybe 1/1000th of airram's knowledge) but this is what i would consider... and if you have a 4.7L... i would trust the guy that has done nearly everything under the sun to his 4.7L and knows the ins/outs pros/cons on all of them... AIR_RAM

-David
I just swapped in a 70mm TB this Saturday. Oh my gawd! This thing breathes like a freight train! (And it pulls like one too :D )
I was able to find a decent increase in MPG only because I did some Turnpike and Interstate driving, thank God for cruise control, lol. It doesn't like to downshift at all anymore. It just PULLS. :rck:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.